• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (21 Viewers)

Hi Dave,
was watching four sand martins on the River Don at Norfolk Bridge appeared to be building nest in the old pipework of the former Tempered Spring Company overhanging the river

Plenty of Sand Martins back prospecting their nest holes in the sandy river bank at Castley (near Pool) on the Wharfe.

Our poor old deformed Blue Tit survived the winter, but its bill continues to grow. Has it got a chance?

Attachments

• 18-04-10Blue TitHome.jpg
    18-04-10Blue TitHome.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 71
Flamborough

old fall plantation, 1 willow warbler, 7 chiffchaff, old fall hedge, 1 willow warbler , 1 chiffchaff, sandholes gully 1 lesser whitethroat and a singing firecrest , 1 willow warbler and 2 chiffchaff , 1 willow warbler and a male blackcap in our garden, 2 male wheatears and 3 pairs of lapwings in one of our fields

tell me about it.... for the last week at work I've had punters coming in with problems with their contact lenses. B******* hayfever!
Mind I have got a good bird over in Pontefract.... it's a partial albino blackbird before anyone makes ribald comments. Seen loads of ones with large splashes of white in wings and white heads etc, this is first I've ever seen that is almost totally white except for the tail and rump area. Looks weird!
This white blackbird at Rufford, Notts has survived for at least 3 years and has become locally-famous.
http://www.pbase.com/02purser/luecistic_blackbird
Worth looking out for if you're in the area.

Been getting top quality garden ticks today James?

Not a garden tick sadly - I was padding up to bat when I noticed three birds circling high above me. Expected to see gulls so when they were cranes I was delighted. Was even happier when a fourth joined em. Very happy. Shame I had to go and bat - lost them after about ten minutes (think they moved west towards Driffield).

Not a garden tick sadly - I was padding up to bat when I noticed three birds circling high above me. Expected to see gulls so when they were cranes I was delighted. Was even happier when a fourth joined em. Very happy. Shame I had to go and bat - lost them after about ten minutes (think they moved west towards Driffield).

Your ‘cricket list’ is getting impressive.

Would love to get back to some Yorkshire birding but I'm currently stranded in Florida. If this goes on much longer I might have to make Orlandomy local patch!!!

howell wood gsw update

had a walk round my local wood (howell wood) and saw my first ever goldcrest,at first i was struggling for i.d till it bobbed its head down and i had a grin like a cheshire cat,didnt manage to get a picture but hopefully i will get the oppurtunity at sometime...also had first blackcap of the year and a gsw cleaning out an hole..spent 2 hours watching the gsw from about 30 metres away..brilliant day

after coming down off cloud 9 i have just got back from a walk up howell wood the gsw looks to have settled in nicely..sorry bowt the picture quality but it was cloudy and damp

Attachments

• woody peek-a-boo.jpg
    woody peek-a-boo.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 51
  • howell woo-pecker.jpg
    howell woo-pecker.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 68
How do? Simmo u do web page for old moor don't u? Where is warbler way mate?

Yes, I enter the recent sightings for Old Moor and the surrounding reserves ..

Warbler Way is a path running in between Old Moor and Bolton Ings, it can be accessed either from the Trans-Pennine Trail from the car park at Old Moor or you can park opposite the Old Moor pub (as if you are going to visit Wombwell Ings) and head in the direction of Bolton from there.

Hope this is helpful mate ..

Last edited:
Potteric Carr

Great views today of waders in full breeding plumage at Potteric Carr with Dunlin and 29 Black Tailed Godwit (was told they were from the Icelandica form) also Avocet and great views of 2 Med Gulls amongst BHG's colony, one male was seen attacking all comers as if they were attempting to breed, 3 LRP, and 2 Common Sandpiper as well

I talked to a couple in the Washburn Valley today who had walked the river upstream from Dob Park, and seen Pied Flycatcher and Redstart, if that's any help. I'd been along the gated road above Lindley Wood, and the Curlews were displaying - and a pair of Buzzards were doing mock food pass displays.

It was such a beautiful morning that I went to see for myself today. Parked up on the corner at the bottom of Jack Hill Lane, and walked down to Folly Hall, and on down towards the Washburn. The first bird I saw in the woods below the farmyard was a pristine male Pied Flycatcher singing on a low branch - and that was the only one I saw, though I thought I heard one other. Carried on down to the river where there was a pair of Yellow Wagtails downstream from the bridge. Plenty of Swallows around skimming over the riverside meadow, and a Red Kite came to have a look at me. Its a lovely spot down by the river.

A Chiffchaff was singing in the pine wood as I made my way back up the hill to the car - slowly.

Interesting stuff Chris. John Altrincham was one of my tutors. Did you see the link to bird numbers on that page? http://tinyurl.com/y75w6zq

And me! What years did you study?

I was embarrassingly told off by the legendary Prof JA for opening a beer can with too much vigour during a badger watch.

We went out with him ringing Daubentons up in the Derwent and we caught a Kingfisher (bird not the beer) in the net. Was fantastic to see one up close and personal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back