• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help re dead Mute Swan needed???? (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Hi all,
Does anyone know who I report a dead Mute Swan lying in a flooded field to????
The RSPB say they don't deal with injured birds and the RSPCA only seem to take injured ones too????
I've e-mailed "Birdguides" and our local "Focalpoint",I just hope someone can get to it and recover the body.....such an awfully sad sight to see.
Best wishes,

Hi Ruth,

I would try the Police. It may be that it needs to be checked for cause of death before anything else. If it's just a natural death and a case of removal I suppose that comes back to the owner of the field.

Bill.

Contact Defra,
BTO said:
What to do

Birdwatchers can be of great assistance in staying alert for unusual cases of mortality or sickness in wild birds. Contrary to some suggestions, there is clearly no need to report every single dead bird that you come across. However, if you do notice unusual mortality (e.g. several dead birds in unexplained circumstances) then please contact Defra immediately on 08459 335577. In addition, Defra are interested in all reports of single dead swans.

Ant said:
Contact Defra,
Thanks Bill and Ant.
The above fone number and office is now closed???
Cheshire police recommended I rang back tomorrow at 8am when they would be less busy????? :-C
I e-mailed them the info in the hope that sometime someone will read it and take the appropriate action to remove the bird???

Last edited:
Ruth Daniel said:
Have already done so Walter,thanks! :t:

Bonjour, dear Ruth -

Hope your email gets a rapid reply.

Hmmmm - remember the dead Swan (Bird Flu) they found up North (in Scotland?) last April? It was a nationwide "catastrophe", a HUGE news story on the Beeb, and the entire UK was put on "red alert". They seem to have dropped their guard a bit since then... (o)<

Good luck, anyway...
Love from rainy Brussels

Linda Beaumont said:
Hi Linda....I had a pre-written response telling me nothing from Cheshire police and as yet nowt from Defra!!!!
As you said,last years Swan death in Scotland had us all being told to report any dead bodies and now it seems there is total disinterest......especially if it happens outside of office hours!!!! :C
Best wishes,

Hi Ruth,

I sincerely hope that you WONT do it, but if you really wanted to get things moving tell your local (or even a national) Newspaper. Of course you could always send another e-mail to DEFRA and ask would it be OK if you told a newspaper.

Bill.

bill moss said:
Hi Ruth,

I sincerely hope that you WONT do it, but if you really wanted to get things moving tell your local (or even a national) Newspaper. Of course you could always send another e-mail to DEFRA and ask would it be OK if you told a newspaper.

Bill.
Hi Bill,
No I won't do either of those things.

EDIT.....I've just had this from DEFRA!!!!................
.......Thank you for reporting this bird mortality to the Defra Helpline. I have passed this through to the relevant section for investigation, who may collect this bird for further testing.............
Action at last it seems!!! :t:

Last edited:
Linda Beaumont said:
Bonjour, dear Ruth -

Hmmmm - remember the dead Swan (Bird Flu) they found up North (in Scotland?) last April? It was a nationwide "catastrophe", a HUGE news story on the Beeb, and the entire UK was put on "red alert". They seem to have dropped their guard a bit since then... (o)<

Good luck, anyway...
Love from rainy Brussels

Exactly what I was thinking Linda. Strange how blind panic can change to apathy in 12 months!

Remined me of the situation when the foot and mouth outbreak was at its hieght. I was on holiday in Cumbria and someone chucked a sheeps carcass over the cliff after removing it from his van. This area was in the midst of foot and mouth at the time. Defra where informed immediatly, but I seem to recall it took them 3 days to come and remove the carcass and tape the area off.

Ruth Daniel said:
EDIT.....I've just had this from DEFRA!!!!................
.......Thank you for reporting this bird mortality to the Defra Helpline. I have passed this through to the relevant section for investigation, who may collect this bird for further testing.............
Action at last it seems!!! :t:

Well done Ruth.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back