• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Say at Risley Moss (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Good Morning Birders. We had an interesting day at Risley Moss near Warrington in Cheshire yesterday. We attended the annual AGM of the North West Fungi Group, hearing an excellent lecture by Professor Bruce Inge on the role of fungi in the development of forests, grasslands and pastures, it was an eye opener as to how much our environment depends upon the fungus to keep healthy and keep provide a cover for wildlife and of course birdlife.
After a very nice lunch we set of to explore Risley Moss not to much in the way of fungi except for swathes of Scarlet Elf Caps, making a wonderfully bright carpet among the many birch trees this area has. Birds were more interesting , in fact a SUPER BIRDING MOMENT two Short Eared Owls and a Buzzard, quartering the Moss. Followed by a Peregrin also hunting across the Moss. To cap this some crows appeared and instantly set upon the Owls, one owl went to ground and wisely stayed there, the other decided to give as good as it got and we were treated to a high level arial combat routine, the owl lost and retreated away to the nothern parkland, the crows circled around celebrating their victory, we all had stiff necks from watching this display.
To cap it all off on the way back to our cars we spotted a huge dog fox trotting through the woodland, plus TWO Green Woodpeckers. All in all the best day for me so far this year, made more exciting by the fact we were not actually out Birding, I remembered Bill once saying the most exciting sightings are those one doesnt expect to see, this was surely the case on this fantastic day at Risley Moss.

Good Birding Peter & Dot

Hi Peter.
What a great day that turned out to be. To follow what seems to have been a good and interesting lecture with the birds and animal show was terrific. My old mate serendipity came into play in the afternoon by the sound of things. You saw the totally unexpected by being in the right place at the right time. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Did you see them moving the mycology samples out of the old Mycology Unit at Kew on Friday evening, on ' Another Year at Kew '? Very interesting.

All the best. Baz.

Hi Peter,
WOW!!
What a great day you had at the Moss!
Those Owls must have really been something to see....I've never spotted Short Eared Owls before,well done!! and then a Peregrine as well.....no wonder you were thrilled,thanks for sharing your visit.
Best wishes,

Hi Baz. I watched Kew on fri..What a mine of dedicated information.I was terrified that they would have a disaster and mix them up.
All the varied accumalated knowledge we have stored and yet we still know so little

maurice

Hi Maurice.
My heart was in my mouth several times when the removal men were at it. Thank heavens one of them was concerned enough to rollock the others about being extra careful. Some of them might have been moving second-hand furniture for all the care they were, or were not taking.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Peter and Dot, What a wonderful day you had. How exciting having such a prolonged sighting of the owls. That would certainly make my day. The fox too, I've not seen a live one for many years.
I'm hoping to visit a moss near here in a few weeks and will be really pleased if I can spot some SE Owls.
Thanks for sharing your day, looking forward even more to going now.

Hi Peter, you too of course Dot!

What a brilliant day you both had! What some wonderful sightings of the Shorties, especially in combat with the Crows, it must have been amazing to watch. Then to have the Peregrine and Buzzards to keep you entertained, plus a good sighting of the fox and Green Woodpecker makes it all sound as though it was delightful day!

So interesting to read about the Fungi and how it affects our lives also. Thanks so much telling us all about your wonderful day, it was certainly a pleasure to read and enjoy. Bill is certainly right with what he says about the unexpected pleasures being such a joy to discover, a real wise Sage is our dear Bill, bless him.

Thanks again for all the pleasure Peter, really superb!

Best wishes to you both, Sue.

What a fabulous day you both had - your excitement and enjoyment shines through your post, Peter.

Hi Peter, What a wonderful birding day out,
I really enjoyed reading your report, you managed some amazing sightings.

Ive got some leave over the next 2 weeks, & tempted to go somewhere on the hop for a couple of days birding, I was thinking of re visiting Rutland, but I might be temped by your Owl sightings & check out the RSPB sights for that & maybe Nightjar walks (Or that maybe to early in the year yet)

Great report Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back