• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Courting or Combat? (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

Hi folks,

I have 2 Robins that visit my garden and sometimes a 3rd one appears, I have noticed 2 of the Robins in what is to me an unusual posture. They both raise their heads and tails vertically (making almost a horseshoe shape) and just seem to pose to each other. I have seen this happen twice now and I would say it is a courtship display as I have not seen the Robins having a battle. After seeing this display again this morning, I later saw 2 Robins eating from the same birdtable and were quite content with sharing the table.

I have seen the male feed the female before now, but have never witnessed the display as described. Can anyone confirm for me if it is a courting or combat posture please.

Hi Pam,
I havent a clue ~ but I'll keep an eye on any answers you get, because I think something similar is going on here. He doesnt chase this one away and they feed quite happily a wee bit away from each other and sometimes they flit in and out the honeysuckle together. I also noticed this morning that after doing the head and tail up pose his chest feathers seemed to ruffle up and he started ~ well, I can only describe it as a kind of quiet gentle warbling ~ he wasnt singing, it only lasted a second or two and then he stopped.

Best wishes

Hi Pam,
I noticed this in my Robins last year and soon after they took up residence in one of the nestboxes. I've 2 Robins back again this year but no movement towards the box yet.
Over the weekend I also noticed a pair of Dunnocks in a 'courtship dance' through the dogwoods. They do the most amazing flicking of their wings and tails, stand erect then start over again. Lovely song from the Dunnock too which I hadn't heard in full before.. :frog:

Ray

Hi Dizzy,

I am so pleased someone else has seen the same as me, I was beginning to wonder if I had imagined it |=)|

I haven't been close enough to hear if one of them warbles, but as you have witnessed that then I would say it is a courtship display, would you?

I have looked on google and come up with nothing, only the feeding part of courtship.

Fascinating to see the posture though isn't it Dizzy!

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Ray, It seems we posted at the same time.

It looks like a definite on courtship then as you saw the same last year. Hard to tell sometimes with our feathered friends isn't it!

I also have Dunnocks chasing here, there and everywhere! As you say a lovely song from the Dunnock, mine sing from the top of the conifers so I get a ringside view with my binoculars. They have such a proud look when singing, a delightful bird the Dunnock.

Good luck with your Robins and Dunnocks and any other bird that might nest in your garden :t:

Hi Pam,
Oh good ~ I hope love is in the air then :bounce: Didnt think of googling it Pam, it was fascinating ~ especially as this is the first time I've seen it (amazing what I see when I take the time to sit for long while and really look) ;) The only reason I heard him was that he was sitting on a branch only about 3 or 4 feet away from me and I was already avidly watching him...lol. He is such a bold cheeky little thing I cant help myself. I have an upside down teapot and an open fronted nestbox at each end of the honeysuckle in the hope that he may use either or and another teapot in the ivy at the bottom of the garden. You can tell I'm trying to tempt him away from my next door neighbour cant you???
With a bit of luck we'll both hear the patter of tiny feet come spring.

Best wishes

Last edited:
Crumbs!! what happened there ~ my reply post's about a mile long :eek!: I hope it fixes itself.

Good luck with your Robins and Dunnocks too Ray

Hi Pam.
I've never seen that, but would suggest that feathers would be flying were it two males. Please keep us informed of any developments.

All the best.
Baz.

LOL Dizzy! I wondered what was going on there. Just scrolling down the page reading and suddenly blankness for ages! Think you must have leaned on 'enter' or something! If you edit the message you could delete the blank lines, if you wanted to.

Pam, I've never seen that before, what a lovely thing to watch. Our robins have been paired up for a few weeks now, happily feeding together. They didn't use my box last year. As I don't have a very good place to hang it I've put it low down for the woodmouse now!

Thanks for the eventual 'Best Wishes' Dizzy, how funny!!! I thought my PC was on the blink when I read your post!! :'D :clap:

Good luck with your Teapot and Nest boxes :t:

Hi Baz and Kezza,

This as I say is the first time I have seen this display with the Robins, I do hope you get to see it sometime as it is such an unusual sight to see. I will keep my camera ready just in case, I would love to be able to share the view of it with you all.

I will certainly update any more progress with the Robins Baz.

Lucky Woodmouse Kezza, I hope the box will be fruitful!

Best Wishes

I was just about to post something similar, except with Blackbirds. There's a female in my garden (bigger than every male I've seen) and she's being very bold! I don't think the males really know what to make of it, but every bird seems very active.

It is getting an exciting time of year isn't it Mabel.

The female Blackbirds are getting stroppy with each other, I must admit to turning away sometimes when they have a spat!!! Mind you the males get a bit rough with each too don't they!! Ahh nature o:)

All the best

Not to deviate away from your post Pam (I honestly don't know the answer and won't risk humiliation by attempting a wild theory approved only by Mabel's mind). The female Blackbird always has her tail cocked, and charges the males, which scurry off!

It is an exciting time indeed!

Mabel said:
Not to deviate away from your post Pam (I honestly don't know the answer and won't risk humiliation by attempting a wild theory approved only by Mabel's mind). The female Blackbird always has her tail cocked, and charges the males, which scurry off!It is an exciting time indeed!

Well Mabel my wild theory with your Blackbirds is that she doesn't fancy them and is waiting to see if a more handsome male turns up ;)

Hi Pam,
Fascinating stuff. Ive got a new book about Robin behaviour that might cover this subject.
Ive just finished a stretch of night shifts & about to go to bed, but I promise to read the book & come back to your thread.

Bye for now & good night friends. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz |=o|

pie said:
Hi Pam,
Fascinating stuff. Ive got a new book about Robin behaviour that might cover this subject.
Ive just finished a stretch of night shifts & about to go to bed, but I promise to read the book & come back to your thread.

Bye for now & good night friends. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz |=o|

Sleep tight Pie :gn:

I will wait with bated breath o:)

Pam_m said:
Hi folks,

I have 2 Robins that visit my garden and sometimes a 3rd one appears, I have noticed 2 of the Robins in what is to me an unusual posture. They both raise their heads and tails vertically (making almost a horseshoe shape) and just seem to pose to each other. I have seen this happen twice now and I would say it is a courtship display as I have not seen the Robins having a battle. After seeing this display again this morning, I later saw 2 Robins eating from the same birdtable and were quite content with sharing the table.

I have seen the male feed the female before now, but have never witnessed the display as described. Can anyone confirm for me if it is a courting or combat posture please.

I have seen them like that Pam and pushing their chests out but then if one doesn't move off after posing for a while,the other dive bombs it.

Hope yours are an item though o:)

When they are courting Dizzy is right, they do make a little warbling sound.

Just found this on the net and i thought the last line was so funny.

Behaviour
Robins are notoriously aggressive towards each other. Both males and females are territorial and the red breast is fluffed out in display.
They will even attack a bundle of red feathers or their own reflection, mistaking it for another individual

Last edited:
Mary Evelyn said:
I have seen them like that Pam and pushing their chests out but then if one doesn't move off after posing for a while,the other dive bombs it.
Hope yours are an item though o:)

When they are courting Dizzy is right, they do make a little warbling sound.

Just found this on the net and i thought the last line was so funny.

Behaviour
Robins are notoriously aggressive towards each other. Both males and females are territorial and the red breast is fluffed out in display.
They will even attack a bundle of red feathers or their own reflection, mistaking it for another individual

Now I am confused as to whether it is courting or combat again Mary after reading your reply. I have not seen them dive bomb each other when displaying, mine have just flown into another tree or shrub. I wonder if Pie can come up with anything.

I wonder if I can find some red feathers Mary :bounce: (Only joking)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back