• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just another Northern Wheatear?? (1 Viewer)

Steve G

RAINBIRDER
This bird was pictured locally in late September. It was very approachable, appeared somewhat leggy whilst on the ground & seemed to have a broader black tailband than I'm used to seeing on the local Wheatears. I treated this as a Northern Wheatear at the time & now seek reassurance! ;)

Attachments

• Wheatear1.jpg
    Wheatear1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 238
  • WHEATEAR2.jpg
    WHEATEAR2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 251
  • WHEATEAR3.jpg
    WHEATEAR3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 235
Looks good for Northern to me. Too much contrast for Isabelline and all the other brown wheatears I can think of offhand are daintier (less heavily built) - at least the ones that turn up in Britain are.

Jason

Last edited:
I'd agree that it looks like Northern but would be interested in any comments on the tail pattern. That looks like a lot more black than on a regular Northern.

Fifebirder said:
I'd agree that it looks like Northern but would be interested in any comments on the tail pattern. That looks like a lot more black than on a regular Northern.
Hi Fifey, that was my feeling also when seeing it in the flesh. It seemed a little more leggy & generally "bolder" in both behaviour & appearance so Jane's suggestion of a Greenland bird sounds reasonable-do these tend to show thicker black banding & less pronounced T effect than the standard wimp Wheatears?

Hi Steve,
Looks like a Northern,albeit with a little more black on the tail than usual.A bird turned up locally Oct.02 that was thought to be a female Desert initially,but it turned out to be an aberrant Northern.Almost had a fully black tail even when fully spread!
Harry H

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Steve,
Looks like a Northern,albeit with a little more black on the tail than usual.A bird turned up locally Oct.02 that was thought to be a female Desert initially,but it turned out to be an aberrant Northern.Almost had a fully black tail even when fully spread!
Harry H
Thanks all for your comments. I was very interested in your post Harry. Was it felt that this aberrant N. Wheatear was of Greenland origin or just a weird local?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back