• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How straight billed is this! (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Its definitely an Western Sand...but the bill is as straight as a die!

I've not seen many to know if this is unusual or not.

Attachments

• western sandpiper.JPG
    western sandpiper.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 272
Does anyone remember the Semi-p sand many years ago (Suffolk?) that had a very long bill and was actually thought to be a Western for ages? (I think some people may still have it on their list as one!!!!)

Darrell

seen a few quite similar to this but this one doesn't appear to have any hit of a slight downturn at all - something I haven't noticed (only seen a few hundred or so)

It looks to me like it just may have its head turned , so we are actually looking at the under-side of the bill, making it appear straight. That would, however, make the dark blob which appears to be the eye a dark mark under the chin....

Darrell Clegg said:
Does anyone remember the Semi-p sand many years ago (Suffolk?) that had a very long bill and was actually thought to be a Western for ages? (I think some people may still have it on their list as one!!!!)

Darrell
I don't recall this one, but a few years ago (1997 I think?) there was a calidris at Musselborough (East Lothian) that was initially identified as a Semi-P Sandpiper and about two weeks later it was re-identified as a Western Sandpiper from photographs. Luckily the bird was still present allowing birders to see it with this new found knowledge!

Aquila said:
It looks to me like it just may have its head turned , so we are actually looking at the under-side of the bill, making it appear straight. That would, however, make the dark blob which appears to be the eye a dark mark under the chin....

It was dead straight from all angles...

The Felixstowe bird was thought to have been a Western, but later it was identified as a Semi-P from photo's, yes I saw it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back