• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any guesses on this duck (1 Viewer)

Brendan Doe

This one is sure to drive you quackers! ;)

I'll tell you more about it after theres been a few guesses.

And before anyone gets smart i'm not talking about the Tufties in the forground :bounce:

cheers, Brendan

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 220
Brendan Doe said:
This one is sure to drive you quackers! ;)

I'll tell you more about it after theres been a few guesses.

And before anyone gets smart i'm not talking about the Tufties in the forground :bounce:

cheers, Brendan
Looks like a common mallard

What I think I can see though, is a vertical cheek stripe. So it'll end up being a Baikal Teal x Pochard hybrid or some other bizarre hybrid!!

Not sure why the image won't open but i'll try again :C

Thi sbird is the much debated Barra "Red head" found in September last year and still present. It is thought by some (including some eminent birders) to be a first year female Redhead. If accepted it will be a first for Scotland and a plumage tick for Europe (i think).
Apparently the literature is very poor on this plumage. I have only seen drakes in the States so can't really add anything to the debate- any of you out there have experience of this plumage?

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 193
Hi Brendan,

It looks a lot like a female Pochard, although I thought the head shape was maybe a bit 'square'. That said it looks more like a Common Pochard than either Redhead or Canvasback. Whereabouts did you take it?

Fifebirder said:
Hi Brendan,

It looks a lot like a female Pochard, although I thought the head shape was maybe a bit 'square'. That said it looks more like a Common Pochard than either Redhead or Canvasback. Whereabouts did you take it?

I can't take credit for the photo it was taken by Calum Scott on Barra (see earlier post)

You are probably aware that for the last 2 autumns a group of birders (including myself on the first trip) went to Barra. The last two autumns have turned up lots of goodies including, Arctic Wblr, Paddyfield Wblr, Citrine Wag, Woodchat Shrike, Red Eyed Vireo to name afew and also this much debated "redhead"

Was maybe expecting you at The Scottish Gulls forum last night - plenty of slides of Cachinnans!

Brendan

Far too steep a forehead for Pochard or Canvasback. The round head fits Redhead, but I don't know the species well enough to go further than that.

Jason

agree Jason

more Redhead than Poch for me though it's five or six years since I saw any female Redheads (and even longer since I actually looked at a female Poch so what do I know!)

A few concerns I have about it being a Redhead (although I admit it's an awful long time since I saw one and I'm mostly going on Sibley). People more familiar with the species please correct any misapprehensions:
1. Should there be a bit more of a hint of a pale subterminal band on the bill - not that this would necessarily distinguish it from Pochard?
2. The bill also seems a bit thin and tapered (particularly in comparison to the Tufties). I think the bill shape is more reminiscent of a Pochard than a Redhead to me.
3. The plumage seems quite cold and greyish and I would have thought Redhead would have a 'warmer' tone to it.
4. There seems to me to be quite a bit of contrast between wings and flanks, which would point more towards a Pochard.

I guess the dreaded hybrid theory has been raised? Ducks are definitely nasty.

By the way Brendan, I didn't know about the gulls conference. Sounds interesting though.

Hi again Brendan,

Looks like your earlier talk of expert opinions has scared everyone off! I just wondered if you could let us know a bit more about the debates surrounding this bird and what sort of features are being discussed.

I'm still bothered by the bill shape. A look at a few Redheads in the gallery:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14390/password//sort/1/cat/525/page/1
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16754/password//sort/1/cat/525/page/1

And Pochards:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13952/password//sort/1/cat/527/page/1
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1624/password//sort/1/cat/527/page/2

Not ideal, as these are adult drakes, but this bird looks to me to have more the long slender tapered bill of a Pochard than the rather short, broad and (perhaps more Tufted Duck like) bill of a Redhead. The only thing on it that really suggests Redhead to me is the head shape. If Redheads can look like this, I don't reckon I've much chance of picking one out. I think even if I'd have seen this bird and it was 'officially' pronounced a Redhead, I'd have difficulty ticking it just because I wouldn't really understand why.

I agree about the billshape being more Pochard-like and the head gives a more Ring-necked Duck feel than a Redhead.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back