• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler - but which one ? (1 Viewer)

IanF

I saw this bird at Bempton Cliffs last May. I'd recorded it as a Willow Warbler, but now have my doubts.

Anyone have any other suggestions ?

Attachments

• p5176034o.jpg
    p5176034o.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 425
To be honest Ian I would still go for Willow Warbler. I can't see the legs and that would have been a bit of a help but the beak looks pink and I have seen Willows that are very similar to this. I don't think that it is a Ciffchaff and can't think what else could fit the bill (pardon the pun)

Not too good on warblers, but Willow looks right to me. Did a search on previous sightings at Bempton and they were reported as being there last May.

What do you now think it is?

Just checked my DVD and it does look possible. Sometimes the lighting in photos can play tricks, but I do detect a trace of yellow under the wing, which would suggest Willow. Also its back doesn't appear streaked enough to be Sedge, but that, again, could be a trick of the lighting.

Don't suppose it was singing??

Thanks Diane, it was singing away heartily which s probably why I went with Willow at the time. But I can't recall the song now.

Thanks for everyone's help, I am happy with Willow again. I was going to post it in the Gallery as we haven't got a shot of one there, but I wanted to confirm the ID first.

I would say it is a very worn/drab Sedge Warbler. You may notice how the white supercilium stands out due to the dark brown bordering on both the top (being the crown) and bottom (loral area). This is something I always notice when studying Sedge Warblers. I also get the feeling of Sedge Warbler from its white throat that does not blend its way into the nape, there is a rather distinct line that sperates the white throat from the rest of its face and nape.

Good birding,

~GECSOS

I must admit that the dark crown clearer eye markings and whitish throat were what made me wonder about it being a Sedge Warbler in the first place. I don't see enough of the Warblers to tell teh difference - they all look the same to me - but don't tell them I said that ;)

It was taken in May 2002 sat in the thorn bushes in the car park at Bempton Cliffs. It was singing, but it is too many birds ago to recall the song now.

Ian,
When I read your question I thought that you were intimating that the question was Willow Warbler or Chiffchaff. Immediately Chiffchaff can be ruled out by the massive primary projection even though the leg colour would help confirm this. HOWEVER, that very bold supercilium is something else so Willow Warbler is gone too. With the browny/buff tinge along the flanks and the top of the head suggesting a pattern and the whiteness of the throat then it all points to, as Harry says, Sedge Warbler.

Eddie

Its a very worn looking Sedge, doesn't this seems a bit odd for a May bird? If it was October I'd agree, I can't think of anything else it could be mind you.

Hi Ian and everybody!

I wouldn't be that sure about this bird, please check out the tertials and secondaries projection, they are very short! While at sedge's it is long! Sedge's tail is rounded, while this bird's is defenetly not. On the other hand the dark colour of it's had could well appear beacause of the light which is coming from the other side of the bird. Check out also the primary and secondary coverts, they have no light/black spots.
Colour of the rump: this could be as well because of the light, but it seems to be a bit redish ("rusty brown").
Ian, you should defenetly send this picture to the RC, this bird seems to be a Paddyfield warbler!

Jozsef

PS I've sent this picture to a freind of mine (Kelemen Marton), who's a ringer and ringed well over ten thousand warblers, who had the same impression about it

Thanks for that Jozsef and Rich.

I'm still hedging towards Sedge Warbler. I was going to submit it to Birdguides as they have been very helpful in the past, but the link seems to have been removed from their site.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back