• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More pelagic IDs needed (1 Viewer)

Nickk

Here are some more UFOs from my boat trip 70 miles off Cape May NJ last Sunday. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

ps. I've added a few more pics on my original posting

Attachments

• UFO-26600.jpg
    UFO-26600.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 299
  • UFO-26598.jpg
    UFO-26598.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 314
  • UFO-26588.jpg
    UFO-26588.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 282
  • UFO-26572.jpg
    UFO-26572.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 284
  • UFO-Petrel_26566.jpg
    UFO-Petrel_26566.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 248
4 - Cory's Shearwater
The storm petrels in 1,3 and 5 are either Wilson's or Band-rumped, although I wondered about Leach's for 3. Others with more experience of these species might be able to help. Not sure about the tern in 2.

Hi there,

Don't really have any experience with Band-rumped Storm Petrel, but see a few hundred Wilson's Storm Petrels every week of my life on our pelagic trips out of Cape Town.

I cannot see any signs of the feet projecting beyond the tail in the birds in the photos which is normally quite evident on Wilson's in flight, therefore I don't believe they are Wilson's.

Cheers
Trevor
www.zestforbirds.co.za

I would be veering quite strongly towards Madeiran Petrel (Band-rumped) for the petrels here - I've only seen the one mind, but I have seen loads of Wilson's, Leach's and Storms. The one I saw did strike me as being sort of intermediate between Leach's and Wilsons and the flight was distinctively not like a Leach's!

That said the last petrel could be Wilsons - there is a lot of white on the utcs

I'm pretending I haven't seen the tern!

Agree with 1 and 3 Madeiran (Band-rumped), 5 Wilson's. Not sure that at this resolution the projecting feet would be obvious anyway.

cheers
martin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back