• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh or willow tit, part 1 (1 Viewer)

Andrew03

Hi
Last year 2nd Feb I took these pictures at Brigstock Country Park near Corby/Kettering. I know that both willow and marsh tits occur at this site, but any ideas to which spp the pictures are of? (They are not all the same bird). My collins guide says willow tits are not seen at bird tables in winter, but some peope reckon they are. Nearby is both water and woodland. Any ideas/thoughts much appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew

Attachments

• brigstock.jpg
    brigstock.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 443
howdo,

All these images look like Marsh Tit to me. The small black bib and the definate lack of a pale wing panel are what I'm going on. The bird table visiting seems to be a strange thing to put in a fieldguide. I had to go get mine to read it to beleive it. I know of a birdtable where Willow visit and that's at Fairburn Ings RSPB reserve, there might also be one locally to the Bradford area (?)
The same book says Cresteds don't visit birdtables at all but I've seen them do so on trips to the Loch Garten area!

Any how I digress, Marsh tit it is for me.

Mark

I think Marsh Tit as well. The Collins comment on Feeders and Willow Tits is not correct. The video of the Willow Tit on my Birdguides CD-ROM shows one doing exactly that.

Thanks very much for the quick replies, much appreciated. I had been hoping this bird might be identified as a willow tit, but so far you seem united in your answers!
Thanks
Andrew

I had a Willow Tit yesterday at Dunsford and I was happy as they are not as common as Marshies. I don't blame you wishing that way, I often wish my Chiffchaffs to be Willow Warblers!!!

I agree with you re the comment in Collins that Willow Tit doesn't visit bird tables. The only Willow Tit I've seen in Britain was on a bird table in Cheshire (heard it calling repeatedly so it was definitely Willow).

I beg to differ with a Collins guide but both marsh and willow tit visit the feeding station at Low Barnes Co. Durham. When you see them together in the same spot U soon begin to see the differences, wing bars - willow, matt black cap marsh, I also think the marsh tit looks a scruffier sort of bird

Thanks for all the replies - hopefully someone from Collins will notice the few mistakes in their otherwise excellent guide! (i remeber seeing a mistake in the index as well)
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back