• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another Saharan passerine - Aïr Mountains, Niger (1 Viewer)

Thanks for all help so far from you guys at BirdForum on the birds of my Saharan trip. (Just as well - never did find a decent dedicated field guide).

This one was in the alleys of the little oasis-village of Timia, in the Aïr Mountains of Niger, 4th April 2006. Have I got myself a female Black-eared Wheatear, Oenanthe hispanica, here? Or, if not, what?

As before, confirmation or correction equally gratefully received.

Attachments

• DSCF0913b.JPG
    DSCF0913b.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF0914b.JPG
    DSCF0914b.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 243
as the tail is all black it shouldn´t be O. hispanica.I was thinking Blackstart,but ist looks indeed like a wheatear.... however having never seen desert wheatear and other possibilities there I can not be of more help...

Not a black-eared wheatear with that all black tail. Only thing i know with an all black tail is the blackstart, but the ones i've seen in Israel were much greyer than this bird. Could be a local race though? No idea of any more possibilities in Niger... :h?:

If only the pictures in the field guides, and BirdForum's splendid database and galleries were all as fuzzy as mine, enlarged from a poor-quality holiday snap (the best I could manage), I might have stood a chance with the comparison. They're all so crisp and clear. Also, you've no idea how glad I am I've learnt to recognise when something strange is a species of Wheatear. For me, this is progress.

Thanks for coming through!

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a Desert Wheatear. Tail looks too long and extensively black (beyond base ?) and flight feathers too pale. Did it pump it's tail regularly like Desert Wheatears do ? I'd keep up the Blackstart/ Rockchat type investigation...but who out there knows what lives up moutains in Niger ?

I imagine the saharan avifauna isn't *that* rich so there's probably not that many contenders.
the ilustration for blackstart in "birds of gambia and senegal" looks a lot more wheatear-like than the ones in the w.palearctic field guides so maybe the saharan birds do look different??

Could a localised form/morph of desert Red-rumped Wheatear be a contender? It does look very long-tailed and nothing like the Desert wheatears I've seen.

When are we going to get a good guide on Wheatears?

John.

john barclay said:
Could a localised form/morph of desert Red-rumped Wheatear be a contender? It does look very long-tailed and nothing like the Desert wheatears I've seen.

When are we going to get a good guide on Wheatears?

John.

Think ones just been published.
Agree that its not a desert wheatear. Primary projections too short as well.
Anyone know what Heuglin's wheatear looks like? The only picture i can find through google is a juv on surfbirds, and it seems to have a dark tail.

Last edited:
Tail pattern does fit Blackstart better than Desert, agree with Larry. Race ultima would be the one in Mali and S. Niger, but how it differ from the eastern grey Blackstart I dont know, although in the first image it looks greyer.

JanJ

Heuglin's have a generally dark tail, but still have a pale rump that extends on to the tail feathers. It would be noticeable in those images, anyway.... the plumage recalls Northern Wheatear a bit more I think(?)

Desert Wheatear seems closest...(?)

Agreed tail seems closest to Blackstart - but surely this is a sandy coloured bird? On the whole it doesn't strike me as being like the Blackstarts I have seen.

Desert wheatear would also show a pale rump, with pale bases to the tail feathers. The rump on this looks black, but hard to be 100% sure. Would be nice to know what that ultima blackstart looks like....

Heuglin´s doesn´t have an all dark tail, but a broad dark band covering half of the tail with white tail base and giving slight T-pattern. Also darker, dark brownish above with a dark eye mask, rufous-brown underparts with paler throat and a pale supercilium.

JanJ

Ssp airensis (from Air Mountains, N Niger to C Sudan) of the Blackstart is described in HBW:
airensis is grey-brown above, buffish-grey on throat, with cheeks to flanks sandy-brown shading to cream. I guess this is the bird.

Well, lesser and median coverts do match Desert Wheatear perfectly I must say.
There is nothing for Blackstart in it since it is an obvious wheatear.
But indeed, we can t see but an all black tail and no white uppertailcoverts.

This bird has to be reckoned to be tricoloured on its upperparts, thats a no-no for Blackstart.
HBW says nothing about such a feature so different from the bicoulered (regarded the upperparts alone) other subspecies.

It's a Blackstart. Check Borrow & Demey's Birds of Western Africa which depicts a race that looks strikingly similar.

Desert Wheatear would always have more blackish wing feathers, and the amount of black near its rump seems too big: I'm pretty sure in this posture you'd see a bit of white in Desert Wheatear.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back