• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Request - Possible House Wren? - Round Rock, Tx, US (1 Viewer)

erisian.pope

very amateur
while I was photoing, the bird was hopping from tree-branch to grass to new tree branch, I think hunting. While hopping it was making a raspy sound that vaguely reminded me of a baby human saying "waaaaaaah." This sound was different than the scolding my local Carolina Wren makes when it sees me on my porch. It was maybe less raspy...

This bird looks less marked than my Carolina Wren (I say my, it nests sometimes on my porch in a potted plant), with a weaker but still present supercilium. I think this matches a House Wren I've posted in the past.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_7136.JPG
    IMG_7136.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7137.JPG
    IMG_7137.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7140.JPG
    IMG_7140.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7142.JPG
    IMG_7142.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7143.JPG
    IMG_7143.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 41
There was another that I shot that was hopping into a small 'cave' in the tall grass that i think is house wren as well. Those pictures are terrible. It had noticed me watching and I think the 'cave' was a way to get out of eyesight. I approached the cave later and it was gone, I guess it flew out the back side of the grass without me noticing. Very stealthy and skittish bird!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back