• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unvise32.exe (1 Viewer)

davids

Reading Delia's problems regarding spyware prompted me to do a scan with Spybot. The scan revealed nothing unusual with just the usual cookies being highlighted.

However I also ran Spyware Doctor. This highlighted a file called unvise32.exe in my Windows directory. Risk type was high and it was described as a NetObserve used to monitor and log user activity.

When I looked at the file in the Windows directory it seems to be an unistaller created by Mind Vision. I am a bit sceptical about Spyware Doctor's results because it was a free download but was indicating I should register (i.e buy) the package for the file to be deleted automatically.

Any advice on whether this is really a malicious file and if I should attempt to unistall would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

unvise32.exe is the uninstall file that can be "installed" from several different spyware bundles with different characteristics, including tracking web-based email, taking and mailing screenshots, etc: some benign, others really quite nasty!

Advice from symantec (here) is to run the uninstaller and see what happens, if not use your av software to remove.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Not sure I've got all that correct. unvise.exe (without the 32) is a generic uninstaller. On further googling various places have unvise32.exe described as such, and as a rat trojan.

SiG said:
Hmmm. Not sure I've got all that correct. unvise.exe (without the 32) is a generic uninstaller. On further googling various places have unvise32.exe described as such, and as a rat trojan.
SiG

Thanks for your help. I haven't run the file yet (don't want to until I understand what it is). If it is malicious software i am not sure I understand why there is an uninstall file.

David

Just because it's named as such, doesn't mean it will uninstall anything. Spyware is often intentionally named with common filenames in an attempt to avert your suspicions. If it is anything to worry about, there's a very high chance it can be picked up by a good up-to-date virus scanner.

My advice: Download the free non-commercial AVG virus protection software. Register, run, update and scan... it will do the rest.

Ben M said:
Just because it's named as such, doesn't mean it will uninstall anything. Spyware is often intentionally named with common filenames in an attempt to avert your suspicions. If it is anything to worry about, there's a very high chance it can be picked up by a good up-to-date virus scanner.

My advice: Download the free non-commercial AVG virus protection software. Register, run, update and scan... it will do the rest.
Thanks Ben I already use AVG and it has not detected anything.

David

PS I see free support to AVG 7.1 is ending in January

davids said:
Thanks Ben I already use AVG and it has not detected anything.

David

PS I see free support to AVG 7.1 is ending in January
Have you tried scanning the actual file with AVG (i.e. using right-click)? If it's not reporting anything suspicious, then I'd not be worried personally, but who knows!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back