• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wintering hummingbirds in Washington state (1 Viewer)

TRBielas

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some info?
My family and I were clearing up fallen branches from our snow/ice storm and I ran across 2 hummingbirds. They looked to be in good health and fairly active. What I'm wondering is, should I go ahead and put a feeder out for them? How common is it for hummers to remain in semi-cold winter states?
How can I help to make sure their winter is comfortable?

Thanks for the help,
Tammy

These are most likely Anna's Hummingbirds. They do stay in the North West in winter and by all means put out a feeder. The usual mixture in winter is 1 part sugar to 3 parts water. Later in spring and summer change to a 1to 4 ratio. Enjoy them, they are a great treat to watch.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back