• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lazy Humminbirds (1 Viewer)

rolloman

I recently installed a couple humminbird feeders. Each feeder has one humminbird visiting. My question is that it seems that the two birds just sit on the same tow nearby limbs all day and go back and forth to the feeders. Is this what they do they normally or do they go about other things. I cannot watch all day of course but they are doing this it seems any time I go outside to watch. Did they get too lazy now to do anything else since the feeders are available. I have never put feeders up before and am just learning.

Last edited:
I think they just eat and poop. They do eat bugs, but it has been rare for me to see that over the years. I believe that hummers will get nectar from the easiest place; either a feeder or a flower. If you have a few more birds, they will chase each other. That's about it.

My hummers do the same thing, and they did even before I got a feeder, so I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about. They perch in the trees and catch insects (I do see this all the time) and fly to the feeder/flowers every so often for a drink.

Helen

Thanks, I will just leave the feeders and let them do their thing. I do see them chasing off each other so that is why I put up the 2nd feeder which seems to help the smaller ones to steal a drink without being noticed.

Thanks, I will just leave the feeders and let them do their thing. I do see them chasing off each other so that is why I put up the 2nd feeder which seems to help the smaller ones to steal a drink without being noticed.

I definitely think I need a second feeder. They all fight over the one I have.

Helen

LOL! I've got 4 spaced out over a 100' area and they still fight like crazy ;)

So what's with the pictures of feeders with a dozen hummers either feeding or politely waiting their turn????

The Magnificents are kings of the feeders for me, and the White-Eareds and now migrating Ruby-Throateds have to sneak in when they can. Also, I NEVER see female Magnificents on the feeder; I assume the boys won't let them feed. I'm thinking they might get a chance if I had a second feeder? Should I hang signs over the feeders that say "Damas" and "Caballeros"?

Helen

I only have Ruby Throats, but especially during migration south they sometimes seem to get along more. Had 5 sitting on one feeder this morning with another 5 on other feeders. I have 16 feeders up now in a small area, but 4 of those are grouped together at my window. The others are in a line 18 inches apart.

Hummers, hummers and more hummers

Hi there. I am new to this forum. My husband and I have had a world of fun this migration season. We have had literally 100's of hummers of all types come to visit us. We have 3 feeders up and that seems to work pretty well. There are so many at the feeders at one time that they can't really have any who become King of the feeder. I've lived around hummers all my life but since we bought our house we have seen more at one time than we could have ever dreamed. Our back yard looked like a large hive of bees when they were all here. It has slowed down but we still have a LOT. We also live where there are at least 3 kinds of all year-round residents so we may have the joy of viewing this many until Spring migration. They are incredibly smart and crafty little birds.

I recently installed a couple humminbird feeders. Each feeder has one humminbird visiting. My question is that it seems that the two birds just sit on the same tow nearby limbs all day and go back and forth to the feeders. Is this what they do they normally or do they go about other things. I cannot watch all day of course but they are doing this it seems any time I go outside to watch. Did they get too lazy now to do anything else since the feeders are available. I have never put feeders up before and am just learning.

I quit using feeders years ago and then I saw a hummingbird one day November last year and it snowed the next day and I thought Oh Oh! and borrowed a feeder from son.
Hummingbirds have often visited in the winter here, Annas, to feed on the winter blooming Jasmine Nudiflorum and Abelia blooms well into November until 1st hard freezes and they love that too, along with the long blooming Magellan fuchsia.
So, for years I had no feeders as the blooming shrubs grew in to provide natural food.
I have now kept a feeder up since last November and found that when flowers are blooming profusely the feeders are used less. Last winter had 3 Annas visit daily, taking snaps with a webcam I set up for closer viewing and I could see by their gorget marking that they were different from each other, the male being most obvious by his red head. Then in early March the Annas were joined by the Rufous who fed the same way, using flowers and syrup in addition.

For the past year I have had humminbgbirds visit every month! XMas, New Year, snow/no snow. Cool!

They do tend to hang out near the food source and guard it. I have had a juvenile male Annas for 2 yrs in a row now hangout in my flower filled yard, stationed nearby for the most part guarding when not feeding. Bathing too, in the fountain in cool weather.
Having the feeders up supplements natural feed and makes for no skinny birds. They do bug hunt when the bugs are out, morning and evening usually, much like fish. Small flies of whatever tiny sort. You just have to be out there at the right time to see it. I wonder if they eat mosquitoes???

Attachments

• Picture 74.jpg
    Picture 74.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Lazy hummingbirds

This is normal behavior for hummingbirds. Even when they are perching hummingbirds are digesting food.They live on the edge of survival and need to eat all day long. So although you see them perching, this is important work for them.Food is being moved from a small pouch at the base of the throat called the pouch to the stomach for digestion.They really never do get a moments rest even if it appears so. Hummingbirds eat nectar for the energy needed by their super fast metabolism. However, all hummingbirds need insects for protein. Sometimes when they are perching, they are also watching for these insects.They catch them in the air since hummingbirds do not walk or hop.

So :) they're not really lazy. They work: drink and perch, drink and perch, catch a fly, drink and perch. And they are beautiful too, such lazy beauties for us to enjoy. Good luck, Rolloman.

Seen Ruby throats catch insects on the wing,gleen from leaves normally on bottoms,insects,spiders and eggs.Any thoughts on what a ruby might be up to on the ground? Seen that also,tried to snap some pics last summer.Would ants be on the menu also?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back