• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuisance woodpecker in San Joaquin County (1 Viewer)

montereyredfox

We have a nuisance woodpecker chipping away at our eaves. Last year I put hardware cloth over the area it was pecking on the eaves. Now it's attacking another area under the eaves. I'd like to find a more lasting solution than covering every area it pecks at.

I want to use humane methods to keep it at bay, including providing an alternative nesting box. We live in San Joaquin County, California. Wikipedia lists Northern California Woodpeckers Sapsuckers and Flickers.

Can anyone help narrow down the likely list of culprits in this area?

And can you suggest alternative methods of controlling their pecking behavior?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

the best approach depends what it's doing. if it seems to be excavating a hole in one area, a nest box might help. if it seems to be pecking loudly while not cutting very far into the wood, then it is drumming to advertise territory. if that's the case, try hanging a nice, resonant piece of wood under the eaves, it may switch to that. worst case scenario would be that it is finding something to eat in the wood of your house, in which case the woodpecker is the least of your problems. good luck.

Hi montereyredfox, and welcome to the Bird Forum

This could be a long shot - but why don't you try painting some clear nail varnish on your eave as it may smell strongly enough to put the Woodpecker off.

Hopefully it will take a peck, or too elsewhere

Just a thought ;) :t:

This solution works for gnawing 'squirrels' for definate as their sense of smell is very acute.

Regards
Kathy
x

the best approach depends what it's doing. if it seems to be excavating a hole in one area, a nest box might help. if it seems to be pecking loudly while not cutting very far into the wood, then it is drumming to advertise territory. if that's the case, try hanging a nice, resonant piece of wood under the eaves, it may switch to that. worst case scenario would be that it is finding something to eat in the wood of your house, in which case the woodpecker is the least of your problems. good luck.

Grebefeet has it right.
Your comments about it having been there previously indicates that it was not nest building.
Woodpeckers don't usually peck on wood for the fun of it. Either they are advertising or they are looking for lunch. So the resonant board might be an answer, if you are comfortable with woodpecker drumming outside your window.
Insects in the soffits seems less likely, termites generally start low, carpenter ants would be pretty obvious and larvae of wood borers are not usually in sawed planks after the first year.

There were studies years ago on a woodpecker's drumming looking for calcium in painted surfaces but I would think that would be only during nesting season?

There were studies years ago on a woodpecker's drumming looking for calcium in painted surfaces but I would think that would be only during nesting season?

Well, one poked holes into stucco covered columns at my brother's house, so that study may offer an explanation of such behaviour. Wonder whether putting out eggshells on the feeder might be an effective diversion.

Well, one poked holes into stucco covered columns at my brother's house, so that study may offer an explanation of such behaviour. Wonder whether putting out eggshells on the feeder might be an effective diversion.

It may. Another study found animals going to the color white looking for calcium. Scientists started laying white paper down on the ground and it proved to be picked up by many of the animals/birds so the white egg shells may work as well actually even better than the paper ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back