• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Swedish raptor & 2 small juveniles for ID (1 Viewer)

If those youngsters would be Bluethroats, the basic colour does not be grey-brown,
there should be some reddish or bluish spots too (reminds somehow more Robin or Common Redstart)...
They really looks typical Flycatchers! The plumage of Spotted Fly varies also sligthly.

I got some shots of a juvenile Spot fly the following day (I saw it being fed). I'll post them this evening if they're still relevant.

I discounted Robins because I didn't see any reddish plumage and I agree with Hannu that they're not Bluethroats because I didn't see any bluish spots either.

I see a lot of juv. Bluethroats here, these photos don't look like those..

My guess would be Spotted Flycatcher..

But, then again, juveniles are hard..

Here's a pic of one of "my" Bluethroats..

//Ben

Attachments

• bh.jpg
    bh.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Not a bluethroat, not a robin , short legs, wrong leg colour, , i ´d go for a flycather, but I have no clue which--leaning to pied however.

Spott flys look consitently larger (broader-based) billed than your birds and shorter legged. Pied still looks like the best call.

Perhaps we all agree that it migth be Flycatcher species?
You will find pic from my Pied Flycatcher chick, so everyone can compare it to the original case...
BTW, nice Bluethroat juvenile pics indeed...sorry, I remembered wrong on that impression, maybe my description fits better to full grown autumn birds...

Attachments

• Pied Flycatcher chick2.jpg
    Pied Flycatcher chick2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 44
Spott flys look consitently larger (broader-based) billed than your birds and shorter legged. Pied still looks like the best call.

I agree. I don't think it's a Spot fly. I found a juvenile Pied among my images but it's much older I think.

Attachments

• IMG_6221.jpg
    IMG_6221.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 45
Because the situation seems to be that many favor more Pied,
So the relevant question would be:
Can Pied Fly in so old fledge (that they have some flying skills and they have left their nest) be so streaked from the head and breast?

Just thought I'd try to round this thread off.

Everyone, including me, is in agreement that the raptor is an Osprey so that's been IDed.

Most people, including me, are in agreement that the juveniles are probably Pied Flycatchers and that is a big step forward as far as I'm concerned. At first glance I thought Siskin as there were lots around and the birds are heavily streaked and seemed to me to have a slight greenish tinge but I can see on closer inspection that they're not finches.

There were a couple of other ideas thrown up along the way that I thought might be worth commenting.

Dunnock - I said I'd never seen one in Sweden but they're not uncommon, just even more skulking than in Britain.
Stonechat - extremely rare but there were lots of Whinchats. Is that a possibility?

If we can discount these maybe we can all agree on Pied Flycatcher.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back