• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portable photo viewer (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

I am looking for something portable that I can view my digital photos on, something with a bigger screen than say an iPod but not as big as a laptop - and ideally perhaps something with a decent sized memory so I could use it for storage too.

Any suggestions?

The Epson P-2000, 40 gig £328-00 and 80gig £479-00 at Warehouse express, it has a postcard sized screen and is CF and SD compatible, or has adaptors for other memory cards.

Hi Rob

I use a Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC. It has both compact flash and SD slots so you can copy photos from one media to another. Because it has Compact Flash you can use Microdrives in it enabling you to store masses of pictures. With Resco Photo Viewer you can even edit your pictures in much the same wayas you can with Photoshop i.e. crop, resize, brightness contrast etc
Coupled with a GPS receiver you can use it to accurately place your sightings. The things you can do with Pocket PC's is endless - pretty much the same as what you can do with a lap top.

Mark

nigelblake said:
The Epson P-2000, 40 gig £328-00 and 80gig £479-00 at Warehouse express, it has a postcard sized screen and is CF and SD compatible, or has adaptors for other memory cards.

Thanks Nigel - I was hoping for something cheaper ( saving up for spelling lessons - see thread title!) - but I'll check it out.

Rob

PS - thanks Mark too!

Hi Rob,

I've seen several that have appealed to me but so far haven't jumped in and brought one, might be worth 'googling' the Astone EVO, Vosonic X and Digimate (?)
Let me know how you go,

Tom

Deja-vu said:
Hi Rob

I use a Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC. It has both compact flash and SD slots so you can copy photos from one media to another. Because it has Compact Flash you can use Microdrives in it enabling you to store masses of pictures. With Resco Photo Viewer you can even edit your pictures in much the same wayas you can with Photoshop i.e. crop, resize, brightness contrast etc
Coupled with a GPS receiver you can use it to accurately place your sightings. The things you can do with Pocket PC's is endless - pretty much the same as what you can do with a lap top.

Mark

Mark,

I'm new to all this so standby for some basic questions!

Am I right in thinking that these are basically mini laptops?

What is the difference between SDRAM and Flash ROM?

What sort of storage capacity would one have? I don't quite follow your microdrives comment - to me computers have a mouse and a keyboard and after that I'm struggling with the "techy" bits!

I love the design of the Epson that Nigel suggested, but I am guessing that the Dell would be more versatile?

Thanks in advance.

i have the epsom p2000 - it is excellent - i took it to tobago and put 2.2 gig on it from memory cards, the great thing is it has a zoom function to help with id'ing birds when you are back at the hotel or wherever with field guides.

nigel

Portable Photo Viewer

I'm very pleased with my Epson P 4000. I keep all my photos, bird DVDs and all my music and still have loads of memory to spare. Best price I found was Amazon - £414.
John

Hi Rob Ii have the Vosonic VP621O - 80Gb =- excellent - bout £180 now.

Cheers,

Kevin

Rob Smallwood said:
I am looking for something portable that I can view my digital photos on, something with a bigger screen than say an iPod but not as big as a laptop - and ideally perhaps something with a decent sized memory so I could use it for storage too.

Any suggestions?

Help

hi

will be getting my epson p-2000 on monday and i was wondering how i upgrade my firmware??

i have been to epson and downloaded version 02.51 its now waiting on my desktop in a winzip....

Could anyone tell me how i extract the files to my device...
Do i need to extract the files to a folder then drop them into my device while its connected to my pc??

How many updates has there been for this device and how will i know what my device updates will currently be? also do i need to upgrade oldest firmware to most recent in order or will the latest one take into account all of the updates?
Also are the update mainly for raw files for different cameras?
I will be using a canon 20d in RAW , will this already be supported?

Thanks i hope you can help me....

www.troy-turner.com
:egghead:

Rob Smallwood said:
Mark,

I'm new to all this so standby for some basic questions!

Am I right in thinking that these are basically mini laptops?

What is the difference between SDRAM and Flash ROM?

What sort of storage capacity would one have? I don't quite follow your microdrives comment - to me computers have a mouse and a keyboard and after that I'm struggling with the "techy" bits!

I love the design of the Epson that Nigel suggested, but I am guessing that the Dell would be more versatile?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Rob

Yes the pocket pc gives you pretty much the versatily of a conventional pc. Though obviously not as fast or with the same memory capacity. However Micro drives (basically high capacity Compact Flash cards) can be bought up to 6 Gig, a four gig card is c£50. Have a look at the Axim users website www.aximusers.com
All Pockets Pc's are windows operated and run programs such as Excel, Word, Outlook etc
Just so you've got an idea you can currently pick them up (HP or Dell) on Ebay for less than £100 but just make sure that you get one with Compact Flash and SD card slots. The memory on them is between 32 and 64mb though this is really only used for program installation and running.

I'm still pretty new to what these pocket rockets can perform but have a look on the users site, there's also sorts of tips that you can pick up.

P2000

Hi Troy,
You need to download the firmware update onto a memory card and then download the program into your P2000 from there.

I e-mailed Epson to ask them for details of the Update for my P4000 only to receive no reply. However when I used their EPSON e-talk facility on [email protected] I was able to hold a text dialogue with an Epson support technician who was most helpful. You will find details on Epsons UK website.

I doubt if your P2000 has the latest firmware installed. Mine didn't. You will find your firmware status when you open the Settings window, in the bottom RH corner.

My guess is that you will need the latest update for 20D RAW. Again, I did for mine.

Hope this helps. If you need any further help let me know. I'm very pleased with the product.
John

Mark

I'm interested in your Pocket PC experience.

I have the use of a Dell Axim X50. The internal memory is very small and adding memory only can be done by adding an SD or CF card. For me, the idea would be that I used the X50 to transfer photos off the card to shoot more photos when on holiday. So on the face of it it looks a non starter.

But, if I bought I portable hard drive, could it be hooked up to the Dell? Then all you would need to do would be download from the card to the hard drive through the X50. Or is that wishful thinking?

Matthew

mcapper said:
Mark

I'm interested in your Pocket PC experience.

I have the use of a Dell Axim X50. The internal memory is very small and adding memory only can be done by adding an SD or CF card. For me, the idea would be that I used the X50 to transfer photos off the card to shoot more photos when on holiday. So on the face of it it looks a non starter.

But, if I bought I portable hard drive, could it be hooked up to the Dell? Then all you would need to do would be download from the card to the hard drive through the X50. Or is that wishful thinking?

Matthew

Depends what camera you use. Seeing as I really only use my Kyocera (SD) I can transfer photos from the SD card to a high capacity compact flash card or vice versa. But I can also view and even edit (though I don't) the photos on the device before transferring them to the other card. In theory I could put a high capacity microdrive in the PPC and transfer the whole card. Admittedly this is not much use if you want to transfer from CF to microdrive.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back