• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Tits (1 Viewer)

Nerine

Saw the first of the winter (ok Autumn) in the garden today! One ... two .... then three, all visiting Berberis. I love them and their noisy chatter; other winter birds have yet to appear - Blackcap should arrive soon, no Dunnocks yet which is unusual, Sparrows have deserted, no Bluetits, but faithful Robin and Blackbird still here. I hate winter but love the garden birds at this time.

Nerine

Nerine said:
I hate winter

Gee, you want to try a winter up here, you'd soon be loving your Channel Island 'winter'! ;) Dead drop gorgeous, those Long-tails though, eh!? Up here, it's the snowy-headed race and, boy, they are nice!

Nice to read your thread, Nerine, lovely part of the world you live too! I had LTT's weeks ago, and their delicate little burble, I always think they sound like little tipplers only just twittering, so little is their sound, but what joy it brings! Have got them frequently falling-in for the food on offer.

helenol said:
I also have approx 8 of them visiting at the moment. The best sight is watching them in the bird bath!
Without the starlings!! do you miss them? ;)

Nina, you describe the LTTs perfectly! I always hear them before I see them, always excites me! Yes, it is nice living here (not so much in winter!)

Jos, bet your winter looks more beautiful than ours!

Helen, I've never seen LTTs in the bird bath - what a lovely sight that must be!!

Nerine

My favourite guys. Still waiting for the little flock of 8/9 of last winter but I've seen a couple now and again. I would love to see them in the bird bath.

Jos - you lucky thing seeing the snowy headed guys. If you ever catch them on camera please share the picture with us.

Margaret

I usually see a winter flock around the back of the house, around 15 or so, and in fact saw them this morning for the first time this season.

I know long-tailed tits do show up in groups at this time of year, and indeed hang out with other tits more, but can someone enlighten me as to why?

I would think safety being the main reason, but they are gregarious birds and the larger the number the better survival rates apply. More to be on the lookout for danger too!

trishhickson said:
I have read that they form family groups, and they will all be related in some way.

Very much a social unit, LTT are fairly uncommon in that offpring from a previous brood can become helpers at a nest, feeding their new siblings

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back