• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk & small yellow bird in Long Beach CA (1 Viewer)

eliaszuniga

Saw these two birds in my backyard in Long Beach California that I can't identify in a few days ago. What kind of hawk is the first? The yellow ones really loved the nectar from the plants they were on. As always, help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Hawk Email.JPG
    Hawk Email.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Yellow Warbler Perhaps Email.JPG
    Yellow Warbler Perhaps Email.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 225
  • Yellow Warbler Perhaps 2 Email.JPG
    Yellow Warbler Perhaps 2 Email.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 213
eliaszuniga said:
Saw these two birds in my backyard in Long Beach California that I can't identify in a few days ago. What kind of hawk is the first? The yellow ones really loved the nectar from the plants they were on. As always, help is greatly appreciated.

It's a Cooper's hawk. Not sure about the warbler.

Alan

About the raptor...

1) No black cap
2) Small Bill
3) Skinny little legs
4) Eyes look big on head
5) Auriculars are not light patch between cap and body

The thin whitish tail tip is in the ambiguous category, as is the shape (since we can't see the outer retrices), and I think the length looks better for Cooper's. However, on the strength of 1-5 I have to vote for Sharp-shinned, not Cooper's.

What fun is an accipiter thread without a debate anyway? ;)

gloygum said:
I would go for a sharpie - it can hardly stand up on those pins!

On re-examination I'd go with Sharpie. The OCWA is way brighter than the locals in the pacific Northwest.

Alan

eliaszuniga said:
its a roadrunner!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back