• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mantis ID, SW Spain (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

After years of not seeing a mantis I had two in two days in September.

The first was a large one (about 4 ", 10cm) that walked across the path near Los Barrios, Cadiz.

The second, a bit smaller (about 2.5 ", 6cm) and with a slimmer abdomen landed a few miles away from the first at Aglarrobo watchpoint, Algeciras the following morning.

Any IDs welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_9687-800web.jpg
    IMG_9687-800web.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9724-800web.jpg
    IMG_9724-800web.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 61
Funny how you seem able to find dead cows (and thereby vultures) which elude me but I've not had any problem seeing mantids doing so pretty much every year since I started visiting SW Spain. I'm no insect expert but I do have a copy of the new photographic guide to Mediterranean insects. This suggests that the first, on size grounds, should be Praying Mantis Mantis religiosa. I guess the second one could be a young specimen of the same species but it looks like Mediterranean Mantis Iris oratoria. That said the new guide also tells me that there are c26 mantids in the region but only covers seven species ...

Is religiosa so big John?

The post I linked too, mentions the other supposedly larger species at 70mm whilst the OP puts his at c100mm?

Edit. It seems they are that big with females given at 7-9cm, bigger than the males at 6-7cm

A

Last edited:
10cm might have been an over-estimate on my part, but not by much. I was looking at it on the path and my personal guess at the time was 'about 4 inches' (ie 10cm), being roughly the width of my hand, which I've always assumed to be 4". I find that my hand is slightly less than that in fact and therefore 9cm of a large female praying mantis is a nice fit.

Thanks folks.

The new guide says religiosa is 43-88mm which, at the top end at least, is substantially larger than other species and only approached by Sphodromantis viridis (53-75 mm) and Empusa fasciata (60-72 mm) although the latter has a different shaped head.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back