• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (28 Viewers)

Had a great day, starting at Martham Broad; on to Horsey path to Horsey Corner, then to Strumpshaw. Highlights were a good, close(ish) sighting of the osprey at Strumpshaw, three (distant) cranes at Horsey and the attached (I hope) immature long-tailed skua (I think, but quite happy and grateful to bow to more experienced opinions) which flew up from Martham Broad and headed towards the sea. Returned home leg-weary and enjoyed a tea of nag pie with lashings of tongue.

I'd like to think that this was the bird I saw going over Waxham (or actually not!) but it wasn't!

Originally Posted by firstreesjohn

The record went ‘on’ at 2240h, over 5 hours after I posted on here. However, a few clarifications: they (2) flew west, not over Gramboro’, but the field to its south and did not land in the field, which is not stubble, but a grazing marsh. Apart from those . . . !”

Exactly. Posting on here, or anywhere else on the net, is effectively suppression. If you want to share your birds, or get help looking for them, then you need to phone an information service direct, with the correct information, at the time.

Comparing your last two posts with John's (and on that basis alone), I know with whom I'd rather go birding...;)
MJB

At the far end of The Hill, I heard a cheup, immediately proclaiming “Tawny Pipit!” to my companion, looked in the direction of the sparrow-like call and saw a large pipit flying away from us. Another was with it.

They appeared to land in the middle of the field- but even four of us scanning for a good half-hour did not turn them up again.

The info was written in the Cley NWT VC/CBC logbook and also passed to one of the bird news dissemination services.

Exactly. Posting on here, or anywhere else on the net, is effectively suppression. If you want to share your birds, or get help looking for them, then you need to phone an information service direct, with the correct information, at the time.

If you look at John's original post you see that he did pass the news on, how news services put the information out clearly isn't decided by the finder. John is a good birder and a nice chap too, always happy to share info and help in the field. If he liked suppressing records a lot less of us would have seen Blyth's reed in Norfolk!

Comparing your last two posts with John's (and on that basis alone), I know with whom I'd rather go birding...;)
MJB

But if you were a pager user who would you prefer to find birds?
(and before anyone ask: yes, I know John is an excellent birder and bird finder)

If you look at John's original post you see that he did pass the news on, how news services put the information out clearly isn't decided by the finder. John is a good birder and a nice chap too, always happy to share info and help in the field. If he liked suppressing records a lot less of us would have seen Blyth's reed in Norfolk!

Do you know if he told the person as a friend or as a provider of news information or someone connected to the news information service that he uses? Times and people change (just wich I could find something worth suppressing - Lapland Bunting was the best I could find yesterday - which I suppressed!! Except the local mega that was Magpie!!)

John is more than just a 'good birder', all that know him are aware of that!

I thought John said he contacted one of the information services. Hardly his fault if it took time to get out. John is a complete amateur at suppression anyhow, jumps onto the phone as soon as he finds anything.
As Mike said and from your attitude I know who I would rather go birding with.

John
ps at least Salthouse was peaceful and not overrun with birders yesterday ;)

Last edited:
;)At least news got released on the day. An improvement by all accounts on normal practice;) I would also suggest contacting a well know cley based birder does not constitute informing the birding information services;)

Last edited:
I thought John said he contacted one of the information services. Hardly his fault if it took time to get out. John is a complete amateur at suppression anyhow, jumps onto the phone as soon as he finds anything.
As Mike said and from your attitude I know who I would rather go birding with.

John
ps at least Salthouse was peaceful and not overrun with birders yesterday ;)

Cross posted, John!
Suppression of a good bird(s) is a good way to keep a place peaceful and not overrun with birders!
I, for one, would have come over and looked for the Pipits if I'd had all the information,

I wonder how many would have come over if I had found a Blyth's at Stiffkey?!?

Knew someone would say that as I was typing:smoke:
Are you gracing us with your physical presence or just etheral on here?o:)[/QUOTEe]

but noone ever saw me when i was up here (unless you count West Bank barefoot appearances after allnight tree action) :king:. Yep will be up in next few weeks - solid birding inbetween work trials...

Last edited:
Knew someone would say that as I was typing:smoke:
Are you gracing us with your physical presence or just etheral on here?o:)[/QUOTEe]

but noone ever saw me when i was up here (unless you count West Bank barefoot appearances after allnight tree action) :king:. Yep will be up in next few weeks - solid birding inbetween work trials...

It will be good to 'not' see you then! Looking forward to our existencial chats! Where are you going to be based, same as before?!?

It will be good to 'not' see you then! Looking forward to our existencial chats! Where are you going to be based, same as before?!?

Well was kind of forced to leave Blakeney (from a cheffing point of view, not birding politics ;)) not too many jobs about at the moment but will have a sniff around and should be plenty in spring, looking forward to establishing a new patch where-ever that may be!

Have to admit, being away from my 'home' has made me doubly appreciative of what we have in Norfolk.

Etiquette

As I keep saying - still a newbie at birding and the forum - I'm attaching a couple of pics of the Strumpshaw osprey taken yesterday. Is this considering the wrong thing to do and would they be better sent to the gallery? I posted pics of the skua yesterday as that was more of an identification issue. Having said that I can't identify the fish in the osprey pics!

Attachments

• Bird02753sml_20120929.jpg
    Bird02753sml_20120929.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Bird02766sml_20120929.jpg
    Bird02766sml_20120929.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 131
As I keep saying - still a newbie at birding and the forum - I'm attaching a couple of pics of the Strumpshaw osprey taken yesterday. Is this considering the wrong thing to do and would they be better sent to the gallery? I posted pics of the skua yesterday as that was more of an identification issue. Having said that I can't identify the fish in the osprey pics!

Superb, keep them comming.

John

Yeah really great pics, bear in mind you are one of the very few people to have photographed Long-tailed Skua in Norfolk.

Salthouse

As a few Buntings are now being found we have started to seed the area just West of Salthouse beach car park. Probably not much hope until the natural seeds on the shingle ridge are eaten, but something might turn up,so worth 10min or so if you are in the area.
News will be put out of anything that turns up, approx 12 hrs after the sighting, 24 hrs for anything rarer than Lap or Snow o:D

John

Penny (http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/easterlies-on-way-this-weekend.html) is “Looking forward to a spectacular Autumn with no suppression and news put out asap – that would be lovely PLEASE!”

I’m looking forward to some autumn, too. Where is it ?

As for the other: the phrase ‘Cloud Cuckoo Land’ springs (pace Aristophanes and unseasonably) to mind.

Mind you, a Cloud Cuckoo would be a welcome first.

Does not apply to yourself;)

Last edited:

Nice pics , I recone the fish in the Ospreys tallons is a Rudd with its crimson tail fin , its very plentiful at Strumpshaw & you can see them just below the surface sometimes ,

Yeah really great pics, bear in mind you are one of the very few people to have photographed Long-tailed Skua in Norfolk.

Here's a dot I took earlier (assuming I got the ID right)

Attachments

• 10 Long-tailed Skua Stercorarius longicaudus Norfolk UK October 2009 rot 2cp pt crs surf 130dpi.jpg
    10 Long-tailed Skua Stercorarius longicaudus Norfolk UK October 2009 rot 2cp pt crs surf 130dpi.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 304

Users who are viewing this thread

Back