• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

no head raptor? under the bridge (1 Viewer)

leewee

new hampshire birder/photographer
so my girl friend and birding partner came in to my workdown town manchester new hampshire and said she had seen a dead bird she couldnt ID...so i was on the scene like fast...it was about 12 inches or so, hard to tell with no head, i think it was juvinile...whitish back, sharp tipped wings mostly smooth gray trailing edge black/dark gray...very stubby tail (starlingish),feet were raptor like with small talons and fairly strong looking feet...

hard to tell (its dark out) if the tail was plucked a bit, also i had to get back to work haha....i wasnt suposed to be out doing doing pherensic birding haha...the location was under a bridge in down town...lots of rock doves around...my first thought was a just fledged perigen or the like...im usually pretty good with this stuff but i am stumped...any ideas?
lee

black on top and whitish on the bottom...they were strong looking but not hawk strong...kinda between passerine and raptor feet...
hope that does you some good, thanks for the reply it was a stange find and it didnt help that it was dark out...leewee

the wings didnt look that way but it was definitly my first suspect... but i wouldnt rule it out due to the darkness lack of head and fact that it had been picked over a bit.... thanks, lee

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back