• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albino Stonechat (1 Viewer)

So what is a 'true albino' and what is leucistic ??

Steve

To keep on track with this bird I would explain it (probably very poorly) like this. Albinism is an abnormality found in some plants, animals and birds. Except in plants (caused by a lack of chlorophyll), albinism is caused by the absence of natural pigment in, this case, feathers. In true albinos, as was with this bird, the eyes are peculiarly affected; the iris is pale rose colour and the pupil bright red, owing to the lack of pigmentum nigrum, the colouring matter of the eye membrane. The condition is congenital and should not be confused with any seasonal variation. Many ‘white’ occurring birds are not true albinos, because normal pigment is retained in the eyes, beaks and feet, only the feathers are deficient in pigment. So not only is ‘our bird’ a true albino, but is also extremely rare. Hope this is helpful Steve? I did explain with my above words the condition of Albinism as best as I could in the article.

Peter

To keep on track with this bird I would explain it (probably very poorly) like this. Albinism is an abnormality found in some plants, animals and birds. Except in plants (caused by a lack of chlorophyll), albinism is caused by the absence of natural pigment in, this case, feathers. In true albinos, as was with this bird, the eyes are peculiarly affected; the iris is pale rose colour and the pupil bright red, owing to the lack of pigmentum nigrum, the colouring matter of the eye membrane. The condition is congenital and should not be confused with any seasonal variation. Many ‘white’ occurring birds are not true albinos, because normal pigment is retained in the eyes, beaks and feet, only the feathers are deficient in pigment. So not only is ‘our bird’ a true albino, but is also extremely rare. Hope this is helpful Steve? I did explain with my above words the condition of Albinism as best as I could in the article.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I had read it in the article.

So how does 'leucistic' differ from 'albino' ? Is it purely the difference in eye pigmentation?
Maybe I am being simplistic (as usual) in thinking that a true albino should be white plumaged and pink-eyed.
As your Stonechat is clearly not white I would have called it partial albino, going by the eye colour and partially white plumage.
Leucism/leucistic is not in any of my dictionaries: is it a genuine condition to a scientist? It certainly is widely used in birding.

Steve

done a quick google search,
seems complex but as far as i can tell leucism is a form of pigment deficiency that does not affect the eyes. Can be complete as in an all white bird with black eyes, partial as in pale coloured birds or even partial as in piebald birds.

albinism is a different form of pigment deficiency (with a different genetic mechanism) that does affect the eyes so Peter's bird is unquestionably albinistic rather than leucistic. However crucially it appears the absence of melanin that characterises albinism can be complete e.g a pure white bird with pink eyes, or only partial. This might be the cause of the yellowish feathering in peter's bird? i.e. it's a partial albino.

cheers,
James

Thanks Peter. I had read it in the article.

So how does 'leucistic' differ from 'albino' ? Is it purely the difference in eye pigmentation?
Maybe I am being simplistic (as usual) in thinking that a true albino should be white plumaged and pink-eyed.
As your Stonechat is clearly not white I would have called it partial albino, going by the eye colour and partially white plumage.
Leucism/leucistic is not in any of my dictionaries: is it a genuine condition to a scientist? It certainly is widely used in birding.

Steve

Hi Steve,

My bird IS pink eyed, pink legs and bill (look closely at photographs), although granted body feathers more pale grey than pure white, in a purely scientific context it is 'Albino'. Wide use in birding does not necessarily equate to correct, as you might already know! I'd be happy to go along with James's explanation as intimated in my previous message.

Put a photo here just to show you clearly the eye colour etc...

Peter ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6508---Stonechat-albino.jpg
    IMG_6508---Stonechat-albino.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back