• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

just bought a bird bath! now where do i put it? (1 Viewer)

lozza_9

Hi All

I have finally bought a bird bath as I noticed from a few forums its good for the birds and an Excellent way to attracted the birds to my gadren. I used to just have a small container on my bird table and I have seen a few birds use it which is great but I thought I would treat the birds to a nice big bird bath.

Where's the best place to put the bird bath?

Open view in the center of the garden or in amounst the flower bed under a tree. The bath is Pedestal Bath so can not be hang from a tree.

Thanks All

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

My first thought would be to put it out in the open as much as possible.

Although this obviouly means it can be seen by predators or cats, it also works the other way... that is the birds can see it, and also can see from it.

Whilst they would probably find it if it were secreted in your flower bed, it would put them at a disadvantage if a cat (or other predators, depedning on the size and location of your garden) could approach unseen by them.

Hope this helps

:t:

lozza_9 said:
Open view in the center of the garden or in amounst the flower bed under a tree.

Would recommend in the open or under the tree, but near cover so they have quick escape if attacked. Also wet bedraggled birds like to jump up to preen on nearby branches etc. I would be a little wary of putting in amongst the flowers if these can provide cover for cats (if they are common in your garden)

my next door neighbour has a cat and he normally sits at the bottom of my bird table waiting for the birds to come.

What he doesn't know that there are 2 bird cakes on the back fence and some feeders in the trees just so the birds can eat safetly if he is around!!

He also gets upset when I fill up there water - he looks at me waiting for he's food!!!

I'm hoping now its winter he won't be out much - neighbours dont let him out when its raining.

I can't wait to see them in the bath splashing away.

Lorraine

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back