• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski SLC 42 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

MPeoples

Swarovski Optiks
SLC 8x42 and a SLC 10x42 BINOCULAR
SLC 42
THE SOLID, MULTIPURPOSE BINOCULARS
The 42 mm objective lens size is considered the most useful as an “All Round” binocular size due to their size, weight and performance. At just under 6 inches long, only 28 ounces in weight, with a 91% light transmission, the 42 mm SLC truly delivers.
KEY FEATURES: HD Optical System: The entire optical system is specifically designed and adjusted to the fluoride High Definition objective lenses. This unique manufacturing method optimizes the purpose of HD glass in the new SLC: a considerable improvement in resolution and contrast, as well as to minimize color fringing.
 Excellent ergonomics
 SWAROTOP Anti-Reflective, SWARODUR & SWAROBRIGHT and SWAROCLEAN Coatings
 Magnesium Housing
 Monochrome Rubber Armoring: The new SLC series magnesium housing is now completely covered in a rubber armoring with 2 different textures for maximum protection and handling comfort.
 3 position eyecups: The 3 position eyecups combined with long eye reliefs allow for 100% Field of View for eyeglass wearers.
PRICING
AVAILABILITY
October 2013

Best
Mike

Is this just a re-skin or is there really something new here? The HD just came out a few years ago - seems early for a change.

Looks nice though!

Swarovski Optiks
SLC 8x42 and a SLC 10x42 BINOCULAR
SLC 42
THE SOLID, MULTIPURPOSE BINOCULARS
The 42 mm objective lens size is considered the most useful as an “All Round” binocular size due to their size, weight and performance. At just under 6 inches long, only 28 ounces in weight, with a 91% light transmission, the 42 mm SLC truly delivers.
KEY FEATURES: HD Optical System: The entire optical system is specifically designed and adjusted to the fluoride High Definition objective lenses. This unique manufacturing method optimizes the purpose of HD glass in the new SLC: a considerable improvement in resolution and contrast, as well as to minimize color fringing.
 Excellent ergonomics
 SWAROTOP Anti-Reflective, SWARODUR & SWAROBRIGHT and SWAROCLEAN Coatings
 Magnesium Housing
 Monochrome Rubber Armoring: The new SLC series magnesium housing is now completely covered in a rubber armoring with 2 different textures for maximum protection and handling comfort.
 3 position eyecups: The 3 position eyecups combined with long eye reliefs allow for 100% Field of View for eyeglass wearers.
PRICING
AVAILABILITY
October 2013

Best
Mike

Mike:

This is interesting, and it seems Swaro. is updating the SLC HD 42's
after only 2 years. The only thing I can see, is the full rubber armoring,
where the SLC HD now available, has metal on the inside. That will make
all of the EL's and the new SLC's fully armored.

I find confusing the models listed above, with SLC 8x42 and 10x42 mentioned, but then they also mention the model SLC 42.

The current SLC HD has all of the Swaro. coatings mentioned above so
I suppose we will have to wait to see if there are any changes to the
optics.

Jerry

Mike:

This is interesting, and it seems Swaro. is updating the SLC HD 42's
after only 2 years. The only thing I can see, is the full rubber armoring,
where the SLC HD now available, has metal on the inside. That will make
all of the EL's and the new SLC's fully armored.

The current SLC HD has all of the Swaro. coatings mentioned above so
I suppose we will have to wait to see if there are any changes to the
optics.

Jerry

And knocking $500 off the list price...

I forgot the Prices
58305 SLC 8x42 W B -$1,921.00 MSRP
58310 SLC 10x42 W B -$1,999.00 MSRP

Interesting that the new pricing above is considerably less than the 'old' pricing of the first generation SLC 42HDs--$2,129 for the 8x42 & $2,239 for the 10x42. Eagle Optics has a sale on the 'old' 8x42s at $1,889 ($32 difference)& the 'old' 10x42s at $1,989 (only $10 difference)--if the above pricing on the new is correct & if only cosmetic changes have been made on the second-generation model, why not wait for the new ones? Are the new models a step-down from the old models?

Interesting that the new pricing above is considerably less than the 'old' pricing of the first generation SLC 42HDs--$2,129 for the 8x42 & $2,239 for the 10x42. Eagle Optics has a sale on the 'old' 8x42s at $1,889 ($32 difference)& the 'old' 10x42s at $1,989 (only $10 difference)--if the above pricing on the new is correct & if only cosmetic changes have been made on the second-generation model, why not wait for the new ones? Are the new models a step-down from the old models?

I am thinking the new models will be equal in performance, and maybe
better, but Swaro. wants to counter the sales they may see slipping to the
Zeiss Conquest, which is regarded as mid-range, but offers a very nice
value, and may compare very well.

Swarovski has had the EL as the top end, and the SLC following at a high
level of performance, but lesser and priced less than the top model.

Which SLC model is better, and at what price is interesting ?

If I were thinking about purchasing a new Swaro. high end right now
I would wait for a while, and see how these things turn out.

Jerry

I am thinking the new models will be equal in performance, and maybe
better, but Swaro. wants to counter the sales they may see slipping to the
Zeiss Conquest, which is regarded as mid-range, but offers a very nice
value, and may compare very well.

Swarovski has had the EL as the top end, and the SLC following at a high
level of performance, but lesser and priced less than the top model.

Which SLC model is better, and at what price is interesting ?

If I were thinking about purchasing a new Swaro. high end right now
I would wait for a while, and see how these things turn out.

Jerry

I'm speculating that these models are somehow stepped down from the current SLC HD. Since when has Swaro or any high end manufacture introduced an updated model with such a severe price drop?

The list price for a 10X42 HD is actually like $2488...so street price of new SLC may be even less than above quoted prices.

I'm speculating that these models are somehow stepped down from the current SLC HD. Since when has Swaro or any high end manufacture introduced an updated model with such a severe price drop?

The list price for a 10X42 HD is actually like $2488...so street price of new SLC may be even less than above quoted prices.

I would not be concerned at all about MSRP.

This new model looks to be improved, and has some improvements over the former.

Don't worry be happy. ;)

Jerry

I think you will find Swarovski tends to keep a tight rein on prices.

I would not be concerned at all about MSRP.

This new model looks to be improved, and has some improvements over the former.

Don't worry be happy. ;)

Jerry

These new models have a list price $500 below the current model. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited:
These new models have a list price $500 below the current model. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

spray:

You are a newbie and seem to be bothered with pricing.

Why are you concerned? No need to put them down, so what is
your intention ?

We will all know more as the new models are available in October.

Jerry

spray:

You are a newbie and seem to be bothered with pricing.

Why are you concerned? No need to put them down, so what is
your intention ?

We will all know more as the new models are available in October.

Jerry

Are you a psychologist? You are assuming a lot of feelings on my part.

Last edited:
Mike, may I know, what's the source for your text? Could there be some mistake here, by whoever put it together? On the Swarovski website there's nothing about HD glass.

Here's what I had thought: When SLC HD was brought out the two SLC models in those specs were taken off. So, currently in SLC HD there are 8x42 and 10x42, in SLC 8x56 and 15x56. In the new-body SLC range there'll be 8x42, 10x42, 8x56, 10x56, 12x56. The two SLC HD models remain.

The British Birdwatching Fair's on three days from tomorrow. If the new SLCs will be there, our British gents I'm sure will not only clarify this, but try them outdoors and let us know about them!

Mike, may I know, what's the source for your text? Could there be some mistake here, by whoever put it together? On the Swarovski website there's nothing about HD glass.

Here's what I had thought: When SLC HD was brought out the two SLC models in those specs were taken off. So, currently in SLC HD there are 8x42 and 10x42, in SLC 8x56 and 15x56. In the new-body SLC range there'll be 8x42, 10x42, 8x56, 10x56, 12x56. The two SLC HD models remain.

The British Birdwatching Fair's on three days from tomorrow. If the new SLCs will be there, our British gents I'm sure will not only clarify this, but try them outdoors and let us know about them!

And here is a link to their description. http://www.swarovskioptik.com/nature/blog/SLC_Family_nature

This is a welcomed addition to the choices already available now, no question. Any news from the British bird watching Fair would be great.

Well, they got you talking about the new SLC line! And, as a bonus, there hasn't been one comment about how expensive they are.

PS
I'm retired.

Hi, I copied the text from the Swarovski PDF they sent me.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back