• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Goldfinches. Has anyone else noticed an upsurge in the number of goldfinches recently? I'm regularly getting up to 10 at any one time in my garden on the feeders. Just wondered if this is out of the ordinary?
Cheers
Tom

Had a flock of 90+ yesterday on my patch feeding in a strip of game cover, the largest count for many years. Also a flock of 80+ Tree Sparrow nearby which is easily the largest count I've recorded locally. Most welcome :t:

Just had a cracking weekend... for locally scarce stuff at least. Highlights were a frustratingly shy Ring Ouzel (2nd patch record!) sharing a hedge with 4 Blackbirds, a Crossbill (also 2nd record), a Redpoll, and an adult Med Gull feeding with a couple of dozen Black-heads/Commons on a winter corn field.

As for other winter thrushes either they moved straight through or haven't arrived yet - just one small flock of Fieldfares and 2 Redwing all weekend.

help on id

Sorry about the terrible quality but they were a long way off.Any ideas on id appreciated.

Attachments

• w1a.jpg
    w1a.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 146
Good day out today started at Holmpton with Barn Owl, before moving on to Sammy’s Point where there few migrant Thrushes’ about including 1 Ring Ouzel.
Spent the rest of the morning around Kilnsea and Beacon Lane with a few Brambling there was a Pied Fly in the church yard and another Ring Ouzel in the canal area.
Early afternoon came news of a Pallas’s Warbler at the point near the VTS tower and whilst waiting for it show found a Firecrest and finished up with both birds in the bins at the same time

Off all week so been keeping a close eye. The forecasts have been changing almost continually but tomorrow shaping up nicely. Double figures for Pallas?

Pity its the only day I can't get out.

Went to Lightwater Valley today, interesting looking Jackdaw just beyond the entrance, very clear pale collar even from a distance - no bins and no camera though!

Goldfinches. Has anyone else noticed an upsurge in the number of goldfinches recently? I'm regularly getting up to 10 at any one time in my garden on the feeders. Just wondered if this is out of the ordinary?
Cheers
Tom
Many more around this year-generally and more locally in our garden in Sheffield- a count of 10 recently was easily the highest we have had.

Blacktoft sands

Managed to miss the green winged teal and the crane (no change there then!) could only manage these two, suppose its a start!! Marsh Harriers were performing well.(but distant)

Attachments

• a1a.jpg
    a1a.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 61
  • a2a.jpg
    a2a.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 56
Trying to get an idea of where on the east coast is worth a visit at the moment, Scarborough birding way out of date, FBOG seems a waste of time and Flamborough, enough said. Imagine each of these groups want reports from visitors so why be so miserly with the info?

Trying to get an idea of where on the east coast is worth a visit at the moment, Scarborough birding way out of date, FBOG seems a waste of time and Flamborough, enough said. Imagine each of these groups want reports from visitors so why be so miserly with the info?

I'd imagine anywhere on the East Coast is worth a bash at the moment! Anywhere with some Sycamores or Willows would be a good start...

Heavy rain was forecast for some areas last night eg bridlington/scarborough so it may be that the local birders have not been able to get out and find the megas yet...

I'd imagine anywhere on the East Coast is worth a bash at the moment! Anywhere with some Sycamores or Willows would be a good start...

Heavy rain was forecast for some areas last night eg bridlington/scarborough so it may be that the local birders have not been able to get out and find the megas yet...

Totally agree that anywhere is worth a go, problem is the websites haven't been updated for up to three weeks so if local birders haven't got out in that time I'd be rather surprised.

Totally agree that anywhere is worth a go, problem is the websites haven't been updated for up to three weeks so if local birders haven't got out in that time I'd be rather surprised.

Flamborough enough said? I presume you're meaning with regards the lack of news; well that might be the case with one or two individuals still birding here, but they are now very much in the minority. Today's news includes two or three of both Firecrest and Yellow-browed Warblers (Old Fall has had both today), a Woodlark near the Golf Course, a Hawfinch near the Lighthouse and three Black Redstart. I don't have many more details unfortunately, as I've been at work, but there's clearly a great deal of potential over forthcoming days and plenty of habitat to get stuck into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back