• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just Thinking? (1 Viewer)

ScoutMan

Since lens and prism quality is so good in bins today, at what price point (both porro and roofs) can the purchase decision be based strickly on ergonomics?

Hmm, interesting question.

I would think any price.

There most certainly are some very good optical quality roof and porro prism binoculars at the $100 price point. So good in fact that you aren't really missing out on anything but the overall experience by upgrading to a more expensive pair. Maybe I did not phrase that accurately. Let me try again.

There are certainly some very usable roof and porro prism binoculars currently in the $100-$150 range. I just picked up my Bushnell Legend 8x42 porros this morning and was again struck by how well they performed in most categories (edge distortion being the biggest "issue" with these incomparison to more expensive bins). They sell right at the $100 price point. However, ergonomically, they are big binoculars. I have big hands and they fit my hands comfortably. However, if I was a smaller individual then I can see where I might have a slight issue with their size.

On the other hand, the very ergonomic Pentax DCF HS 8x36 would fit both criteria in my opinion. It is a pure joy to place in your hands and provides some very good optical performance for a $130 phase coated roof prism binocular. The downside? Well they are water resistant and not truly waterproof but still, how many of us bird in the rain?

;)

The way I see it, even though overall glass quality does seem to be improving, the differences between price class has not been removed. The ZEN ED and others have pushed the envelope quite a bit, granted. So for, me the point where ergonomics is the total deciding factor will come at whatever point the overall image quality meets what I need. In my case, it has always been, and will remain the overall package of the glass that will sell it, or not, to me.

There are a couple of cases where I would select on ergonomics is in the Alpha class. For me the Nikon EDG is too short and fat feeling, while the Steiner Peregrine XP feels wonderful to me. However, if I had an EDG, I could get along just fine with it. In this case the image of either meets my needs. Another case where ergonomics will kick a glass out of my consideration is that god awful center rod in the Monarch X. Prevents me from getting what I feel is the right grip. Other than these, ergonomics are usually kind of neutral for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back