• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your favorite bin to look at? (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

I realize this question has nothing to do with function, but personally, I receive some pleasure just from looking at my bins, some more than others. That led me to wonder if there is any consensus of "hall of fame" binoculars from an industrial design standpoint?

My list would start with the old 7x35 Leitz Trinovid, as a graceful a balance of art and function as there ever was.

Of bins produced today I would say the Ultravid BL, I think they only come in 8x42 or 10x42, both look great. Actually the 42 size BR is very well proportioned to.

I also like the 8x32 Swaro EL.

I don't like any of the 42 size Swaro ELs or SLCs, they just seem bulky. Also, for some reason having nothing to do with their excellent optics, or the fact that the polymer construction has been proven to be strong and durable, I just can't get over the plasticy feel of the new Zeiss bins. My mind tells me that they are a superior binocular, but my heart leads me elsewhere.

What are your favorites?
John

"What's your favorite bin to look at?"

It's a very long, cold winter in Montana huh John? ;)

I think you're on the right page though. The Leitz Trinovid BAs are classic. I would add the 10x40 Zeiss Dialyt (armored) as a runner up maybe.

Of the current designs it has to be the BL Ultravids, and they are beautiful!

I'm a big form follows function kind of guy though and therefore find the charms of many bins.

Last edited:
Well, I often tend to be on my own in having opinions not shared by a whole lot of people on certain issues. But, and I bet, I'm the only one who will post this, I really think the Steiner Peregrine XP is one cool looking binocular. Another one I sort of like the look of is the Nikon E II 8x30. I've never had one, but I like it for its homely countenance. Looks sort of like somebody chopped off the front part. I will add to this the Swift Audubon model 804 8.5x44 porros.

I can sort of grow like the looks of the ugly duckling that can give stunning images.

Now that I think about it a bit, that trio would do for just about any binocular use too.

Last edited:
I like the physical appearance of the current Bushnell Elite. It looks very classy in a nice, neat compact package.

Reverse porros are the ugliest thing I can think of, but Nikon Promasters have managed a nice design there. Other than that I think Meoptas look cool. I prefer plain surfaces though, all kinds of bumps are not needed. And the strap should not look cheap, and not advertise a name.

For me its my faithful Duovids, then my fiance's Ultravid BR, i have a few other pairs but no need to mention them as nothing comes close to the Leica's..... for me anyway. :t:

I'm quite fond of the appearance of my Trinovid 8x43 BLs. I think they look neat, tough and distinctive. I never imagined I would be discussing the appearance of my binoculars. ;)

Ron

I like the physical appearance of the current Bushnell Elite. It looks very classy in a nice, neat compact package.

Thinking about my bins I have to agree with this one.

I think they are perhaps the best looking bins I have. The proportions are nice. The sandblasted bare metal and thin armor are put together very nicely (omitting armor keeps the weight down so it's functional too).

Elite EDs would have an even better view though these are OK they're not quite the best. ;)

Of course they're Bushnell's so they get no respect. They really should come with a white strap and a gold buckle. ;)

And the strap should not look cheap, and not advertise a name.

Absolutely. Let the binoculars speak for themselves and leave the advertising at home.

Kevin,

I would love to see a Bushnell Elite ED. I bet it would be a superb instrument. However, comments from other threads make me think that it would be difficult to keep the current, short length design with ED glass. Maybe I am off base with that though as the Leica HDs are fairly short (all be it in a $2200 package).

;)

Leicas do look the best, but my favorite (no bias here, it just happens to be my binocular is all) is the Trinovid, mine's a BA 8x42. Not to be confused with its predecessor Leitz, which although more elegant, is not so much an integrated, together look. The Ultravids look good too but delicate, being slimmer and lacking the armor over the hinge, the focus knob sticking up, accessible but vulnerable. To my eye the Trinovid is of compact and seamless form, minimal, featureless, machismo but not sinister.
Ron

I think the Nikon LXL 8x32 is actually pretty good looking,sort of unique...the Old Custom ,as an object ,is very compelling as well...

I'm a retro guy - feel it's hard to beat the grace of a CF B bodied porro 8x30 or 7x35 - B&L Zephyr or similar. At the same time I don't really like the looks of the larger 7x50 versions.

I'm quite fond of the appearance of my Trinovid 8x43 BLs. I think they look neat, tough and distinctive. I never imagined I would be discussing the appearance of my binoculars. ;)

Ron

I'm not familiar with that model Ron, d'ya have a pic...? ;)

I think they are perhaps the best looking bins I have...Elite EDs...

Of course they're Bushnell's so they get no respect. They really should come with a white strap and a gold buckle. ;)

That's funny Kevin! Are you here 'till Friday?
They should not have canned the Bausch & Lomb marque.

Leicas do look the best, but my favorite (no bias here, it just happens to be my binocular is all) is the Trinovid, mine's a BA 8x42. Not to be confused with its predecessor Leitz, which although more elegant, is not so much an integrated, together look.
To my eye the Trinovid is of compact and seamless form, minimal, featureless, machismo but not sinister.
Ron

Ah! A champion of the "brick"! I love 'em too Ron, though the "mini" bricks (32mm) are my favorite. Same attributes you cite in a less chunky package.
The 10x42s, shown, I've probably carried at least a thousand miles (maybe two), in my hands, as they were too heavy to sling around my neck for long. They were my primary bin for 12 years.
My 8x32s I'll have the day I take the big dirt nap :t:

Attachments

• 10x42 BAs.jpg
    10x42 BAs.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 8x32 BNs.jpg
    8x32 BNs.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
I really like the look of my new pair, Kowa BD42-10. They look simple and sleek, and they're green. I love dark green. I do admit that was a factor when I bought them... some other bins where pretty good too and felt good in the hands, but these looked nice.

I like Swarovski too. They're also green, so I guess that's a major factor for me. ;)

Duovids 8x12x42

Thought i would post a picture of my old faithfuls.....:t: Come on chaps lets have some nice pictures of your sexy bins then ;);)

Attachments

• IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back