• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go late March, Early April (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Going to be free from the 19th of March to 8th of April for a week - dates not known yet. Anywhere where people could recommend to go? Any country with a mix of nature reserves, nice landscapes and different types of wildlife. I am open to suggestions. Abroad of course.

Gibraltar, bird observation point on the Rock manned by locals, I was there end of March last year , highly recommended. you can also hire a car over the border in la Linea and do a bit of Spain.

Peak migration in Israel, country with diverse habitats from desert in the south to fishponds, wetlands and Mountains in the north. Tens of Thousands of raptors migrating through Eilat along with many north bound migrants on the move, resident breeding species and hang over wintering birds; Easy and direct 5 hour flight from the UK, excellent road infrastructure, plenty of visiting birders for information.

Second half of March into early April can be very good.

These can all be good - not comprehensive just my take:

Kruger
Ghana
Extremadura
Estonia
Pen Malaysia & West Java
Thailand
Sabah
Finland
NE India
Vietnam
Thailand
West Java & Sumatra
South Arizona & Central California

Andy

Out of those options Ghana, Finland and Estonia sound most appealing. Would it not be too early for summer migrants to reach Estonia and Finland? Not that keen on wanting to go further than the Middle East. Kruger - would that be doable in 7 days ?

Hi, H. You ask very good questions...! Estonia was a weekend twitch for Steller's Eider and we also managed to see odds and ends like Three-toed Woodpecker. Finland was a twitch for Azure Tit, again with some nice extras added in. So both were late winter trips in fact rather than spring. And I'd say no, Kruger not worthwhile in 7 days and apologies, I hadn't read that criteria. Useless attempt to help! Extremadura would be the best from my list but you'd have to carefully check that you weren't too early. My dates were 22-27 April.

Hi, Extremadura would be the best from my list but you'd have to carefully check that you weren't too early. My dates were 22-27 April.

Hi,

Been several times in March and had a great time. Lots of Bustards and birds of prey displaying. Sandgrouse seem easier (due to shorter vegetaition?) and plenty of other stuff to keep you busy for a good weeks birding. Most migrants should be in (no White-rumped Swift and one or two others). Plus weather is usually pretty good, it can get very very hot in May!

Cheers

Nick

Near is Cyprus, where is high migration time.

Far is Thailand like Kaeng Krachan east of Bangkok.
Not far is Laem Pak Bia and Pak Tale, which is very good for waders.

Also around Chiang Mai is interesting e.g. Doi Ithanon, Doi Luang Chiang Dao, Doi Akhang or Thaton ricefiled.

I would go with Cyprus too. A very varied island scenery-wise and always capable of turning up a few surprise birds. Not many birders around so great for finding your own birds - my best finds there include Hooded Wheatear and Caspian Plover.

Steve

Thanks for all the suggestions. If you had 7 -10 days which African countries would you visit - max £1500 budget for everything.

Are you talking sub-Saharan Africa or including north Africa too?

If the latter Morocco is good at that time of year and you could do a great trip for £1500.

Apart from Gambia Africa-proper is pretty expensive.

Steve

Out of those options Ghana, Finland and Estonia sound most appealing. Would it not be too early for summer migrants to reach Estonia and Finland?

Wildfowl, cranes et al will be in, probably in good numbers, but even for these late March could backfire - a particularly cold spring can leave the northern Baltics and Finland still frozen.

Unless travelling for a specific species in mind, the Baltics and Finland are far better from late April/early May.

Suspect if you could get a cheapish flight then South Africa might be doable for around £1500 for 7-10 days e.g. Kruger or Kwa Zulu Natal. It's a bit of a long way to go for a short trip, but the birding should be good and it's a decent value destination that you can easily do independently.

I have been to North Africa but never Sub-Saharan Africa. Gambia and Ghana sound interesting. I do not know too much about either country. Maybe need 2 weeks for South Africa in the future at some point - when I have more money and the time.

Not keen on doing Europe as could do one of those states in the summer.

I’m off to northern Senegal late March early April this year. I spent a lot of time trying to work out if it would work seasonally and just about concluded it would. We have 12 days but I reckon you could see a lot in 7 and it’s not too far. Strikes me as ‘Western Sahara with extras’. Incidentally, there’s a brand new international airport on the eastern side of Dakar. The old one was on the west side of the capital, so getting into the field should be a few hours less driving overall than it used to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back