• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrike? Etosha (1 Viewer)

QBE

I'd welcome any help to id this chap as I'm stumped. Photo taken a few weeks ago at the eastern end of Etosha, Namibia. Nearest I can get is Souza's Shrike, but it's lacking the wingbar apart from being out of the area.

Attachments

• Etosha-7647.jpg
    Etosha-7647.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 168
Red-backed,
I only know of one site for Souza's, in the Caprivi area from memory(?) and it's not easy or reliable there.

A

Last edited:
Red-backed,
I only know of one site for Souza's, in the Caprivi area from memory(?) and it's not easy or reliable there.

Between Mahangu and Mushara. But without a knowledgeable guide, I doubt you'd find it, even if you had been told the spot to turn off the main road. (One spot is just off the main road; 100 metres or so.)

Attachments

• 150102125 Mahangu-Mushara.jpg
    150102125 Mahangu-Mushara.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 60
Between Mahangu and Mushara. But without a knowledgeable guide, I doubt you'd find it, even if you had been told the spot to turn off the main road. (One spot is just off the main road; 100 metres or so.)

Mahangu is the place, the owner takes you out to look for it but I've heard a few stories.

A

Mahangu is the place, the owner takes you out to look for it but I've heard a few stories.

Stories?

In our case it was a guide (actually from Swakopmund) who did the whole trip with us from Chobe to Etosha. His father was also in the business, so he'd been doing this stuff from childhood, and he knew a lot of spots. You could just park and walk in a few hundred metres from the road. No 'owner' visible.

Stories?

In our case it was a guide (actually from Swakopmund) who did the whole trip with us from Chobe to Etosha. His father was also in the business, so he'd been doing this stuff from childhood, and he knew a lot of spots. You could just park and walk in a few hundred metres from the road. No 'owner' visible.

Stories I heard was that guiding is paid per hour, and the guide was kind of visiting the whole area for hours then finally reach the spot at a few minutes walk from the lodge... where obviously he knew the nest was. Several of my clients told me the same, but I don't know the place and the persons involved.

Shamvura was the usual place to Souza's Shrike in Namibia. That's where I saw it anyway (I think at a spot just off the main road).

Yes looking at my photos and timings, the spot we saw it at was near Shamvura, but still a few km from the camp of that name (which we didn't stay at) and south of the road, I think, not north as is that camp.

Stories I heard was that guiding is paid per hour, and the guide was kind of visiting the whole area for hours then finally reach the spot at a few minutes walk from the lodge... where obviously he knew the nest was. Several of my clients told me the same, but I don't know the place and the persons involved.

When I said I'd heard 'stories', this is exactly what I meant and it must be Shamvura not Mahangu.

Do I also recall a pet Otter at the same place or was that somewhere else?

A

I used the guide from Shamvura when I was there in 2015 and didn't have any problems. I think I paid for a half-day so it was a set price (and wasn't particularly excessive). We saw the Souza's mid-morning (I think it was about the furthest point away from the lodge that we went to) and saw a lot of other good birds too.

I used the guide from Shamvura when I was there in 2015 and didn't have any problems. I think I paid for a half-day so it was a set price (and wasn't particularly excessive). We saw the Souza's mid-morning (I think it was about the furthest point away from the lodge that we went to) and saw a lot of other good birds too.

Thinks can have changed. The stories I heard are years older.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back