• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kaeng Krachan, Thailand, Feb 17, 2018 (1 Viewer)

BKKBen

Hi all,

Just a few ID questions re: birds around km9 at Kaeng Krachan NP, Thailand.

The first pic of the raptor in the tree in the early morning I initially thought was probably a Crested Serpent-eagle based on both body size and its large head, and the second pic, which is both heavily cropped and lightened seems to show a tail band and lightish (yellow?) cere.

Pics 3 an 4 show a green pigeon seen alone near to a flock of Thick-billed Green Pigeons. This bird was never amongst the Thick-billed flock, being about 100m away, and flew away in the opposite direction when approached. It appears to have red feet and darker primaries.

All help is welcome,

Cheers,
Ben.

Attachments

• DSCF9311.JPG
    DSCF9311.JPG
    752.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF9311 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF9311 - Copy.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF9321.JPG
    DSCF9321.JPG
    583.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF9321 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF9321 - Copy.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 56
Thanks, guys.

Just looking for ID suggestions and tips. I'm very happy to leave the Treron unidentified.

Incidentally, we saw a Wedge-tailed Green Pigeon later on near stream two.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this is the only pic of this bird, and I wasn't even able to see its underside through my bins before it flew away.

Hi all,
Ben, #4, it has the typical yellow wing bar as well. Did you consider yellow-vented, with the tail extensions broken off?

Hi Byron,

I hadn't really considered anything to be honest. I didn't get a great look at this bird in the field and am only familiar with Pink-necked and Thick-billed among the Treron sp.

Yellow-vented is in the area, and another birder I bumped into that morning had seen one, albeit at a different location in the park.

Cheers.

I'd expect Yellow-vented to show an eye-ring, either blue or whitish, a bright blue bill base and more of a wingbar. I would think this is as dull as they get:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/photographers.php?Bird_Image_ID=4264&action=birderimages&Birder_ID=224

Even this dull bird has pronounced yellow feathering on the wing.

Also, shouldn't the tail be more tapered, as in this bird?

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=755&Bird_Image_ID=84454

I think the bird is either Wedge-tailed or White-bellied, which unfortunately need a view of the underparts to separate.

I'd expect Yellow-vented to show an eye-ring, either blue or whitish, a bright blue bill base and more of a wingbar. I would think this is as dull as they get:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/photographers.php?Bird_Image_ID=4264&action=birderimages&Birder_ID=224

Even this dull bird has pronounced yellow feathering on the wing.

Also, shouldn't the tail be more tapered, as in this bird?

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=755&Bird_Image_ID=84454

I think the bird is either Wedge-tailed or White-bellied, which unfortunately need a view of the underparts to separate.

Hi. I was trying to find any images of juveniles (Yellow-vented) but failed completely (as in pigeons juvs can have a significantly slimmer bill and duller bare parts than adults). I was also checking all YVPigeon photos in OBC images and came to the same conclusion as you, but I just couldn't test/exclude the juvenile possibility. I'm finding it a bit difficult to conciliate the shape of the central tail feather tips with the remaining options (shouldn't they have well rounded central tail feathers?).

Good point, Rafael - I hadn't noticed the central tail shafts, as I was too busy focusing on the bill, eye, etc. Could it be a juv. Yellow-vented after all? Maybe Bryon was right.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back