• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basic Photo Editor - shareware or freeware? (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

I'm wondering if people might have a recommendation on a basic photo editor.

I took a look at Adobe Elements but it's more expensive than I want to pay. About $79US. And I have not been able to tell yet if it does all I am looking for below. Mainly #4.

The main tools that I would want are:

1 Crop
2 Sharpen
3 resize
4 and what I don't have is a way to brighten/contrast a selected part of an image.

Of course windows will do 1 and 3. The Canon software that came with the camera will do 1,2, an 3 but 1 is not convenient for multiple photos and sharpen doesn't seem so good.

I don't have a way to do 4.

I've googled and tried to figure out what the features are but I wonder if someone here just knows?

I have Irfanview and it has 1, 2, and 3 but they are not terribly convenient.

Of course I'd like to be able to do all of those at one time. I understand that JPGs degrade with multiple saves so I'd like to do it all easily with one program and one save.

Does anyone know of a good freeware or inexpensive shareware that's easy to use?

Buy an old version of elements 4 - 6 it does 70% the higher version . At least your learning a system that will be around in 20 years . Don't sell JPG's short they are fine for most images .

If I had it to do again ... I would buy a cheap camera and a high end CS5 photoshop editing program the first day .

Much more gain with less pain .

Photoshop elements will do all that and more. I do not know it, but I believe Picasa will do at least 1, 2, 3, and probably 4.

Niels

Hi crazy fingers there are many free image editors, I currently have loads listed here (not all listed are free)

I've not used that many myself but a few of the online ones such as Pixlr seem quite good.

Hey thanks! I attempted to download PhotoFiltre last night but Windows7 kept telling me I had to "escalate" my permissions!?! It's my own computer. Grrr.

So I went and got Picasa. I have not played with it yet. It was still cataloging all my roughly 37,000 photos on the hard drive when I went to bed.

I have Irfanview and it has 1, 2, and 3 but they are not terribly convenient.

Do you have the last version of it? I use it on a regular basis for such basic photo edition and it works very fine for me. Especially the batch capability allows very time-saving formatting of rather large photo collections when, e.g., you want to reduce and auto-correct them for e-mail.

Do you have the last version of it? I use it on a regular basis for such basic photo edition and it works very fine for me. Especially the batch capability allows very time-saving formatting of rather large photo collections when, e.g., you want to reduce and auto-correct them for e-mail.

It looks like I have version 4.25.

I have not used it a lot. I might not have given it a fair shake. Near as I can tell it doesn't do item 4 though.

It is not for the faint of heart but GIMP will do all that you want and more. The learning curve is a bit steep though!

Hey thanks! I attempted to download PhotoFiltre last night but Windows7 kept telling me I had to "escalate" my permissions!?! It's my own computer. Grrr.

So I went and got Picasa. I have not played with it yet. It was still cataloging all my roughly 37,000 photos on the hard drive when I went to bed.

I got the same problem about escalation with PhotoFiltre although it only took a few seconds to overcome. However when I tried to use it the "Crop" feature was not available so I promptly uninstalled it. Will now try Picasa. Roger

Picasa is very amazing. I never expected that it would analyze all of my photos for face recognition and group the same people. Truly amazing. Aside from Google Earth, this is the most amazing freeware I have ever downloaded.

I got the same problem about escalation with PhotoFiltre although it only took a few seconds to overcome. However when I tried to use it the "Crop" feature was not available so I promptly uninstalled it. Will now try Picasa. Roger

I am very glad Picasa was mentioned on this thread as I had never heard of it before. I have now had the chance to use it and I think it's great. Thanks. Roger

I use Photofiltre as a quick editor ( when i'm not using Adobe CS4 extended ) and i find it to be an excellent program. There are also plugins available.

Re. the ' missing ' crop option. Its not missing at all. Its greyed out till you put a ' crop rectangle ' round your image with the mouse.

You then go to the IMAGE tab and the drop down box will show the CROP tab ready to click.

Just to prove my point ( bit late now I suppose as Picasa has been chosen ) but for you Devon Birder, in case you'd like Photofiltre again to trial it out... ;)

Load up photo, and go to IMAGE tab, dropdown box shows CROP greyed out. Looks like its unavailable

But you use your mouse to put a crop box round the area, go to IMAGE again, and the dropdown box shoes the CROP option ready to use.

Simple :smoke:

Attachments

• PhotoFiltre cropbox.JPG
    PhotoFiltre cropbox.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PhotoFiltre cropbox2.JPG
    PhotoFiltre cropbox2.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 53
Just to prove my point ( bit late now I suppose as Picasa has been chosen ) but for you Devon Birder, in case you'd like Photofiltre again to trial it out... ;)

Load up photo, and go to IMAGE tab, dropdown box shows CROP greyed out. Looks like its unavailable

But you use your mouse to put a crop box round the area, go to IMAGE again, and the dropdown box shoes the CROP option ready to use.

Simple :smoke:

Thanks for that Musoman, much appreciated. I was only looking for a program to crop my photos and I now find Picasa ideal especially as it allows you to not only do a manual crop but also a current ratio crop and several others which you can pick from a drop down menu. Roger

Ya welcome - you never know , you may want to try it in the future.

I had picasa and then dumped it for PhotoFiltre :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back