• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray Optics ED4 Binos Release (1 Viewer)

Most of the dedicated hawk counters I know use 8X bins. Some use 10X but most default to 8X because the magnification is, generally speaking, more relaxing. Also, 8X usually has a greater FOV. I've used 7X, 8X and 10X. Since 2004, my 8X32 SE has seen the most hours but this year I suspect that will change. The 10X50 Swarovision is so much fun I plan on using it almost exclusively, especially for raptors.

The question is really based on duration. If you're staring at the sky through a hand-held bin for long periods of time your physical strength is the determining factor in your ability to locate and identify birds. A shaky bin guarantees you'll miss distant birds others are talking about. All things considered lower power = greater stability. A 10X sounds great at the keyboard but if you can't hold it steady at the hawk watch you're not going to find much in the sky.

Believe it or not, the past 2 seasons I've been using my old monarchs which are 12x42! Some days were upwards of 8hrs. :eek!:

Susan,

I would agree with Pileatus's comments with regard to magnification. I prefer 7x and 8x bins for hawkwatching because of the more relaxed experienced (greater field of view coupled with better depth of field). That may be related to how I hawkwatch though. I enjoy finding the birds first which is where my previous comments are directed....and then IDing them based on behavior.

In addition to the binoculars I also take my small spotting scope with me on most hawkwatching excursions. Using it with a low magnification (18x in this case), wide angle eyepiece compliments my specific choice of binoculars.

Good info, Frank. Thnx!
I count on top of Mt Wachusetts in Princeton, MA with the Eastern Massachusetts Hawk Watch group EMHW. They are generous in letting me look through their spotting scopes ;-)

Thnx, Steve. In alphas that appears to be the case. Was seeking a reliable, yet affordable alternative. So that's why I hesitate on an 8x.

It appears to me to be the case with any good optic, alpha or otherwise, including the ZEN ED 2&3 ;)

So what is your budget level?

It appears to me to be the case with any good optic, alpha or otherwise, including the ZEN ED 2&3 ;)

So what is your budget level?

So… that would be as under $1000 as I can get without a season of ongoing frustration. However I'm reconsidering, biting the bullet as it were, the Maven B2 9x45 again.
Thanks again for your generous insight on my behalf
-Susan

Last edited:
So… that would be as under $1000 as I can get without a season of ongoing frustration. However I'm reconsidering, biting the bullet as it were, the Maven B2 9x45 again.
Thanks again for your generous insight on my behalf
-Susan

When you hit the $1,000 mark theres a lot of options out there that are exceptional.

Hello Susan.........As a fellow New Englander, I've participated in several Hawk Watch on Cadillac Mt using my Zeiss 8X32 FL. The 420 ft field of view works well for me and any missed ID is not the result of 8X being insufficient but rather user error. The Zeiss Conquest 8X32 fov is also 420 ft and sells for $900/$800 for demo and gets good reviews around here.......its 22.2 ounces would be a breeze. Good luck in your search.........Hawks will be here before we know it.

Hello Susan.........As a fellow New Englander, I've participated in several Hawk Watch on Cadillac Mt using my Zeiss 8X32 FL. The 420 ft field of view works well for me and any missed ID is not the result of 8X being insufficient but rather user error. The Zeiss Conquest 8X32 fov is also 420 ft and sells for $900/$800 for demo and gets good reviews around here.......its 22.2 ounces would be a breeze. Good luck in your search.........Hawks will be here before we know it.

I really appreciate your info on the Zeiss Conquest 8x32! The fact that you've participated in several hawk watches gives me added confidence in your review!
Have a productive Hawk Watch this fall :-D -Susan

I just did a lot of research on the Zeiss Conquests… EO offers demos for both the 8x32 and the 10x42. Reviews of both are excellent. Obviously the 10x42 have less FOV… decisions/decisions. Thnx again for the heads up on these! -Susan

All,

Thank you so much for your interest in the upcoming ZEN ED4 binoculars. We have been working extremely hard over the last 9 months to redesign and build the new ED4 binoculars. The initial engineering units are in final assembly now. If no big surprise, we should be able to finalize the production qualification by the end of the month and release the new ED4 design for assembly. Then, we will offer BirdForum members an awesome deal to pre-order those binoculars.

Charles

Hello Susan.........I have purchased Zeiss 8X32 FL, Zeiss 10X32 FL, and Zeiss 8X20 Victory as demos from EO and they were perfect. Don't hesitate to give them a call if you have any concerns.

Let me add, the Zen Primes are so close to a Conquest it's next to impossible to tell which you are looking through.

Let me add, the Zen Primes are so close to a Conquest it's next to impossible to tell which you are looking through.

We have received a lot of inquiries from customers who want to order our high end ZEN EDx binoculars while we are in the phase of transitioning from ED3 to ZEN ED4. To appreciate the support of our loyal BirdForum members, we have allocated a few pairs of dealer demo PRIME HD binoculars for a private sale event for BirdForum customers. When you order our demo PRIME HD (10x or 8x), please use coupon code BIRDFORUM, which will take additional $100 off the demo price. The quantity is rather limited so we won't be able to issue rain check once they are all sold out.

Note: The demo units were gently handled in indoor environment and come with new sets of accessories. You may notice some cosmetic damage on the box, but nothing on the binoculars itself. They carry the same No-Fault warranty as brand new PRIME HD binoculars.

Let me know if you have any question.

Charles

We have received a lot of inquiries from customers who want to order our high end ZEN EDx binoculars while we are in the phase of transitioning from ED3 to ZEN ED4. To appreciate the support of our loyal BirdForum members, we have allocated a few pairs of dealer demo PRIME HD binoculars for a private sale event for BirdForum customers. When you order our demo PRIME HD (10x or 8x), please use coupon code BIRDFORUM, which will take additional $100 off the demo price. The quantity is rather limited so we won't be able to issue rain check once they are all sold out.

Note: The demo units were gently handled in indoor environment and come with new sets of accessories. You may notice some cosmetic damage on the box, but nothing on the binoculars itself. They carry the same No-Fault warranty as brand new PRIME HD binoculars.

Let me know if you have any question.

Charles
Thank you, Charles, for this great offer! Would you recommend the 8x42 FOV or the 10x42 for the added distance for counting migrating raptors?
-Susan

Thank you, Charles, for this great offer! Would you recommend the 8x42 FOV or the 10x42 for the added distance for counting migrating raptors?
-Susan

Susan,

There are many experienced birders on this forum who can chime in for 8x vs 10x for raptors watching. 8x has always been my personal favorite. In my experience, if I cannot see well enough with 8x magnification power, I won't be able to see with 10x either. For raptor watching, many people take spotting scope with them too.

Thanks

Charles

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back