• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aggressive Crows/Ravens - San Diego (1 Viewer)

yanksnick

Hello,

There is a population of crows that frequent my street in Pacific Beach (San Diego). Neighbors believe they nest in a couple of the palm trees along the street. I recently started taking my cat out in the yard with a harness. Crows started swooping dangerously close to her and loudly cawing at each other. A neighbor suggested I play crow sounds at them on my iPhone to keep them away. When doing so, they returned to their trees and stopped the aggressive behavior. Here comes the issue:

Today, the crows have started displaying aggressive behavior towards me, even when I'm not with the cat. When I leave my house, they immediately start to swarm and "dive bomb" very close to my head. They caw incessantly and follow me up all along my street. It is extremely distressing to me and my neighbors. It appears they are only doing this towards me. They aren't doing this to my other neighbors.

What is the best way to address this? How long will this last? Is there a way to correct it?

Nick

Not really any suggestion as to help it, but given that crows can recognize faces maybe they've started to associate you with your cat? Might explain the target-specific dive-bombing.

They're probably nesting nearby, so it could go on for a few more weeks. The crows in my yard (north San Diego county) already have chicks.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back