• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 Lxl (1 Viewer)

dries1

Outside yesterday (work), and used a small pair of these, not a bad view once you get your eye socket comfortable (this took a bit of time). For a small bin it handles stray light really well and provides crisp views with accurate color rendition. The diopter is small but for long distance viewing it was set and stayed in place. They are handy to carry with a coat pocket for quick viewing.
I picked these up new for less than half price and do not have others to compare it too except the Aculon 10X25 which provides a decent view. These LXLs are definitely a step up.

PA is nice this time of the year in Delaware County.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Wow, nice place to work Andy! Wish I was there! I like the picture a lot, and seems to be of good quality too. How did you take it-with your binoculars or camera?

...I picked these up new for less than half price and do not have others to compare it to...
It is said by some (competent people) to be the best 8x20, even better than the Leica Ultravid, which though is much lighter. See for example http://scopeviews.co.uk/BinoReviews.htm. Fine site, though (as admitted, and inevitably) a bit subjective in the ease-of-viewing factor, and for that reason the reviewer's even higher praise for the Zeiss Victory (old) 8x20 is not shared by many.

Barry,

That pic was taken with a fuji fine pix XP 100 I got in 2012, I have used it over seas and as my field camera for work and recreational field trips. Nice mid to low priced digital camera for outdoor use, fuji says it is waterproof to 30 feet, but I bought it for the internal focusing so preventing seepage of dust or moisture, I would not trust it in the water.
My adage taking pics is to take as many as you can, and when you go over them later on a wide screen, perhaps 10% are worth keeping or printing, and no I have not advanced my photographic skills to take pics through binoculars.

Andy W.

It is said by some (competent people) to be the best 8x20, even better than the Leica Ultravid, which though is much lighter. See for example http://scopeviews.co.uk/BinoReviews.htm. Fine site, though (as admitted, and inevitably) a bit subjective in the ease-of-viewing factor, and for that reason the reviewer's even higher praise for the Zeiss Victory (old) 8x20 is not shared by many.

Adhoc,

I have 8X32s and thought how would the view be?, 20mm objective? I was surprised after obtaining the correct eye-socket with hand placement to focus and keep it steady.
I was impressed with the edge sharpness and detail of structure, i.e pine needles with rock outcrops and tree bark. It actually handled glare very well also. Viewing conditions were under partly cloudy skies with sun during daylight. The view, though less magnification than the Aculon 10X25, is very much a step above.

With binoculars as with everything else, you get what you pay for.

Andy W.

Andy,

I have the Nikon Premier LX L 10x25. Its larger eye cups make it easier for me to use than the Leica 8x20 Trinovid and Zeiss 8x20 Victory I have. Its case also fits my Swarovski 8x25 CL Compact and I sometimes use it to carry that one around in it.

Bob

Last edited:
Andy,
I have 8X32s and thought how would the view be?, 20mm objective? I was surprised...

If that 8x32 is a good model then at low light levels a difference will be seen easily. See for example here, post#34 where this is said even of an 8x25 vs an 8x32, both of the best optical quality.

With binoculars as with everything else, you get what you pay for.

As a rule of thumb! Current prices of this Nikon 8x20 vs Leica Ultravid 8x20 at a leading online retailer are $527 vs $729 (rubber covered) and $779 (leather).

Bob,

It would be nice if the 8X20s has larger eye-cups, they would be better from an ergonomic perspective IMO, the FOV is much wider than the Aculon 10X25. I may go for using a 10X32 in the field since the mag would be nice, hmmm ... I am seeing some HG L s at low prices.

Andy W.

As a rule of thumb! Current prices of this Nikon 8x20 vs Leica Ultravid 8x20 at a leading online retailer are $527 vs $729 (rubber covered) and $779 (leather).

I would never pay those prices for either model. Now when I say you get what you pay for, perhaps more accurate from going from entry level to mid range than going from mid-range to the highest priced models, (I hate to use the word alpha).

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back