• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

videograbs with digital cameras... (1 Viewer)

I'm playing around with a Sony HDR video cam and have been using it with a Nikon 3x teleconverter and on my Swarovski Scope using the Scopetronix Maxview S eyepiece. The Sony takes 6.1 meg still images too and the quality is not bad. Here are a couple taken over the last few days with the Nikon 3x tele. Neil.

Attachments

• chinese pond heron.sonyvid DSC00486.jpg
    chinese pond heron.sonyvid DSC00486.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 282
  • bc night heron.juv.jpg
    bc night heron.juv.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 290
Neil, are those stills grabbed from a video ?
I have recently purchased a Sony HDR SR5E video cam, and have been grabbing stills from it...so much so, that my Nikon 8800 is almost obsolete!

As the picture quality is so good I am considering giving it a try attached to a scope, using the same technique,i.e. clicking frame by frame to get the shot I want.

Den

Den,
These were taken with the Stills function. I haven't looked at "grabbing" frames from video yet. I picked up a 2.5x teleconverter in Singapore recently but I haven't had time to test it out yet.
It certainly is a nice small package which produces good results.
Neil.

Neil, got this shot yesterday, cheapo scope that "bends" under weight of camera........

200710201410073.jpg

25 metres away, 15x on scope and 2x on camera.

Absolute doddle really, but desperately need a good scope.....................................more money..............................

Den

Last edited:
Neil, got this shot yesterday, cheapo scope that "bends" under weight of camera........

200710201410073.jpg

25 metres away, 15x on scope and 2x on camera.

Absolute doddle really, but desperately need a good scope.....................................more money..............................

I know what you mean about more money. I'm on my fourth tele converter for the Sony ( I already had the Nikon 3x ). The 2x and 2.5x I bought were not good enough quality so now I've bought the Raynox 1.54x tele. I haven't tried it yet. The Nikon is a good piece of glass but vignettes until full zoom and there Auto Focus is difficult. I think a good teleconverter on the camera might be better than attaching to scope due to vibration and haze issues.
Neil.

Neil, I have the Raynox 2.2X TC and it works very well with the Panasonic FZ50, I use it along with close up lens for close up stuff. I have also tried it with the A640. Ernie

Interesting Ernie. I still haven't used the Raynox as I didn't take the video camera on my recent trip to India due to weight restrictions. I will try it on the A640 and the G6.
Neil.

This was a single frame from a HD Sony SR5E attached to my Kenco PF 80A scope with Neils 20x50 eyepiece..

200711061836422.jpg

Depth of field is a nightmare......

Den

Last edited:
Neil, I have the Raynox 2.2X TC and it works very well with the Panasonic FZ50, I use it along with close up lens for close up stuff. I have also tried it with the A640. Ernie
Ernie:

The Raynox 2.2X Super Telephoto Conversion Lens has a 37 mm thread and the Panasonic FZ50 has a 55 mm lens. Can you explain how you use the conversion lens. Thanks,

E. Pike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back