• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions re: Swaro 7x50 and 8x56 bins (1 Viewer)

Marley

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the larger objective SLCs. I am interested in a 7x bin and I really like the 10x42 SLC that I have right now. I have looked at the Ultravid and the EL and they didn't fit the bill (great glass, just didn't seem to fit my eye socket).

I am also interested in the 8x56 SLC. I like the 8x magnification (I also have an 8.5 EL) and with the 56mm objective, would still have a very good bin for low light conditions.

I am not really averse to heavier bins, espeically if there is outstanding optical quality to offset the weight. I really am concerned with sharpness and build quality.

By the by, if you have experience with 7x42 SLCs, I would be curious to hear about those as well.

Thanks to all for any input or recommendations.

Rgds,

Steffan

One thing to consider about 7mm exit pupil binoculars is that the eye is probably never open to more than about 6mm except in almost total darkness. Even astronomers consider 7mm to be useful only under very dark night sky conditions.

I have played with 8x56 SLC and found them very impressive. I like its shape and size but could not justify buying one since I already have a 8.5x42 EL. I found the difference between the two pairs very marginal even in low light (not total darkness though). 8x56 is not a very practical size to carry around but the sheer look of these binoculars make me want to have one (seriously!)

Haven't used a 7 but owned 8x56 swaros, 8x56 zeiss victorys, 8x50slcs.Zeiss were brighter but not as sharp or flat IMO.Both awsome optically.Better than any 42s,regaurdless of make.You give up fov.I don,t think there enough better to justify there size and weight.If you go 50 look at the 10s.My 10x50slcs are outstanding optically.I liked them better than all three 8s I had.Brightness was close to the 8s, but its a 10.The 10s have a bigger fov than all of these 8s in degrees.

Last edited:
JCJ said:
The 10s have a bigger fov than all of these 8s in degrees.

All the specs I can find say 7 degree FOV for 8x50 SLCs and 6.3 degrees (as in: less than 7) for 10x50 SLCs. You and specs can't both be right so which one is it ? :eek!:

faramir said:
All the specs I can find say 7 degree FOV for 8x50 SLCs and 6.3 degrees (as in: less than 7) for 10x50 SLCs. You and specs can't both be right so which one is it ? :eek!:

This is percieved image.If you hold them both into a clear sky or look at a wall the 10 will appear bigger.Dont worry about foccusing them.The only reason the 7 or 8 is bigger in feet is because it is further away.The 10 is a wide angle.By the way the 8x50 apparant fov (degree)is 56 while the 10x50 apparant is 63.Your looking at real degree which is 7 for the 8x and 6.4 for the 10x.Muliply the real fov(degree) by the power to get apparant degree fov.Example ,7real x 8power gives you 56.

Last edited:
Wouldn't 10x show wider image if what you were saying was true ? 8x50 show 369' at 1000 yards while 10x50 show 336' (the anticipated ~10% difference). Apparent FOV does me little good if things (birds) dissapear from it on either side sooner than they would with wider actual angle so I have to pan the view sooner.

The figure you're talking about seems totally irrelevant as far as field of view is concerned - 15x56 SLCs @ 4.4 degrees come out to 66 degrees AFOV according to your calculations and yet we both know that 15x show considerably narrower field of view (= you have to pan sooner when object moves) than 8x or 10x. 231' at 1000 yds stat just confirms that.

"Field of View

The size of the area that can be seen while looking through a pair of binoculars is referred to as the field of view. The angular field of view is indicated on the outside of the binocular, in degrees. The linear field of view refers to the area that can be observed at 1,000 yards, and is expressed in feet. A larger field of view translates to a larger area seen through the binocular.

Field of view is related to magnification, with greater magnification creating a smaller field of view, in general. A large field of view is especially desirable in situations where the object viewed is likely to move, or when the user is moving."

(from http://www.astro-tom.com/telescopes/binoculars.htm)

Greetings Steffan,

I also have an SLC 10x42 ..... and have used a SLC 7x42 for a day . While I love the FOV ..... I found myself wishing I had an 8x . It's too bad the don't make a SLC 8x42 . I don't think you would go wrong with any of their 8x's .... wether it be 50, 56 or even 30 for that matter. As mentioned earlier though , I the 7mm exit pupil if the 8x56 is not going to offer much .... other than 4.5 oz and the psychological benefit of the big numbers .

As usual though ..... you can get all the advice in the world .... but there is no experience like first hand experience. Fortunately you know the brand/model line you want, and the quality is the same for them all . Try each size if you can . Remember too, that eye relief varies quite a bit between all of these .... from the 14mm of the 10x42 , to the 22mm of the 8x56.

Good luck, Garth

Garth said it best,try them yourself,then pick the one that fits you best.For me I like wide angle bins reguardless of power.A 60 or more angle.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back