• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter plumage goldfinch gender (1 Viewer)

dickybird

We have lots of these guys around right now in Southern MN. Is there anyway to reply identify the gender when they are in their winter or non-breeding plumage?

Attachments

• Goldfinch.jpg
    Goldfinch.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 95
From what i've seen and read in the winter male goldies have either a more yellow face and or small yellow shoulder patches. This is the only method I know of. The problem is some males don't show this and occasionally some females have similar coloring. I would say your bird is male.

Here is a site that JanJ directed me to some time ago.
http://www.westol.com/~banding/Pictorial_Highlights_December05.htm

The amount of yellow on the throat can be misleading as some adult females will have as much yellow as some younger males. If there are black flecks in the forehead area then it is clearly male, and if you can see a lemon yellow shoulder than it is clearly male, but the former is often not present and the latter is often hidden. In all cases though the wing feathers of all ages of males are jet black, while those of females range from dingy to dark (almost black) brown. It is often hard to tell with the darker winged females, but when beside a male I can usually tell the difference.

Hope that helps
Scott

Oh yes, I also think the bird in your photo is male.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back