• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maui, Hawaii...Water Bird? (1 Viewer)

I'm pretty sure that would be a Wedge-tailed Shearwater, the more common of Hawaii's nesting shearwaters and the only one found on Maui.

They don't show up on eBird in the state of Hawaii, so I expect not nesters.

Best,
Jim

This species nests on Kauaʻi, Molokaʻi, and Hawaiʻi islands and may breed on other big islands (Oʻahu, Maui and Lānaʻi), according to Wikipedia.

This species nests on Kauaʻi, Molokaʻi, and Hawaiʻi islands and may breed on other big islands (Oʻahu, Maui and Lānaʻi), according to Wikipedia.

THink I discovered the issue. I believe Newell's is now considered a subspecies of Townsend's Shearwater; eBird has some sightings for the latter, but BNA describes breeding colonies remaining in Hawaii as being "a few remant breeding colonies".

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure we would be able to see contrast between the black above and white below if it were a Newell's Shearwater. I'm also pretty sure no regular person would have access to a breeding colony - they are pretty much only seen as fledglings confused by lights on Kauai as they head for the ocean.

There is precious little data from the Hawaiian islands on eBird yet. Most people don't know about it, or don't care to take the time to contribute.

I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement, but there was actually more than I was expecting, at least when you consider the entire state. Eleven species of tubenoses listed. And full data for the entire year (no grayed out gaps anyway) for all the regular species and many rare endemics. Clearly a number of birders have been submitting a number of reports. Though I'm sure there are specific omissions you can spot that I can't.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
It just isn't comprehensive enough to say that something isn't there. Another caution is that there are also a lot of bogus reports because Hawaii has never been properly moderated. Incorrect identifications, or birds placed in incorrect locations - I'm compiling a list of the obviously bogus reports right now, but I don't have the full database to check...

I'm also in the process of fixing the hotspots, many of which were in the wrong locations or duplicate. Who knows where people are placing personal locations.

We need more resident contributors here. I'm the only regular. I've poked some people who regularly report checklists and observations on the mailing list, but have no converts yet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back