• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax Eye Pieces (1 Viewer)

Ryder

Hi:
I have recently been using the 80mm Pentax scope. I see a lot of recomendations for 20x-35x fixed eyepieces and I just ordered the 14mm (37x). Has anyone used anything stronger? Like a 10mm (52x) or the 7mm(84x)? Like this one:

http://www.astronomics.com/main/AsFA6A6RK4CQPH9H1PHM67WTNRQ0PXW10.html

Is there trouble caused by atmosphere or light?

I've been watching a family of Falcons nearby and would like to get a closer look but at $300 a pop I thought I'd ask.

I'm obviously new to this so thanks for the help. :flyaway:

Cheers,
Craig Ryder

Ryder said:
Hi:
I have recently been using the 80mm Pentax scope. I see a lot of recomendations for 20x-35x fixed eyepieces and I just ordered the 14mm (37x). Has anyone used anything stronger? Like a 10mm (52x) or the 7mm(84x)? Like this one:

http://www.astronomics.com/main/AsFA6A6RK4CQPH9H1PHM67WTNRQ0PXW10.html

Is there trouble caused by atmosphere or light?

I've been watching a family of Falcons nearby and would like to get a closer look but at $300 a pop I thought I'd ask.

I'm obviously new to this so thanks for the help. :flyaway:

Cheers,
Craig Ryder

Do you already have the Pentax zoom? If so, it will produce as good an image at 60X as the scope is capable of. I recently tested one of these scopes and measured it's resolution at 1.75 arc seconds, which suggests magnifications above 60X or at best 70X will have little if any extra detail. You don't have to use Pentax eyepieces. An inexpensive Plossl or Orthoscopic will give equally sharp high power views, but with much shorter eye relief and a much narrower field.

>>Do you already have the Pentax zoom? If so, it will produce as good an image at 60X as the scope is capable of. I recently tested one of these scopes and measured it's resolution at 1.75 arc seconds, which suggests magnifications above 60X or at best 70X will have little if any extra detail. You don't have to use Pentax eyepieces. An inexpensive Plossl or Orthoscopic will give equally sharp high power views, but with much shorter eye relief and a much narrower field.[/QUOTE]

Hi:

Thanks for the response. I wish I had the know-how to measure a scope's resolution in arc seconds.

Yes, I have the pentax 20x60 zoom ( I use it with the Pentax 80mm scope)and, to my uneducated eye, it does a nice job. Recently I've been watching a family of Peregrine Falcons that are nesting about 5 miles away from where I live.

I just received the 14mm (37x) Pentax eyepiece and Im very happy with it. I'm not sure if it's resolution or eye relief or whatever, it is just great to look through. After using it about a week I ordered the 10mm (52x) too. Haven't received it yet.

The 80mm 20-60 combo can be had for about $800-850 and I think it is a good deal. The eyepieces at $300 each push the cost up into another level.

There are a few other folks watching out there with Zeiss, Swarovski, etc.. and I'll have a chance to form a more informed opinion in a month or so.

I also bought a pair of DCF SP 8x32 binos from 17th Street photo for about $350 and those are nice too. Guess that make me a Pentax fan.

Cheers,
Craig Ryder

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back