• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD (1 Viewer)

I doubt that the front lens is made with "synthetic fluorite". It is probably made with glass containing fluoride. And that's by no means bad. I don't think the Kowa 88 mm fluorite scope is better than say the Swaro 95 mm. Is the use of fluorite crystal lens in the S2 confirmed anywhere?

//L

On the website Meopta told this:

"HD Lens Elements - High-definition, extra-low dispersion, fluoride objective lens elements eliminate chromatic aberration (CA) or color fringing in challenging lighting conditions and deliver pin point resolution, increased contrast and vivid color fidelity."

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/en/s2-82-hd/hprfklplq3bq/ctgSSen.html?interestTopic=0

Yep, fluoride glass - not fluorite crystal.

http://www.zeiss.com/41256AFB004A4E21/WebViewTopNewsAllE/9603EE360EAB2D8E85256F8E0076C221?OpenDocument

//L

EDIT: http://kowa.eu/sporting_optics/en/TSN-880-Series.php
Kowa uses fluorite crystal in the 88 series only. There's some additional information about fluorite halfway down the webpage.

Last edited:
I don't think the Kowa 88 mm fluorite scope is better than say the Swaro 95 mm. //L

Hi Lars,

IMO in respect of CA prevention the Kowa is better than Swaro indeed. As others here have pointed out, the 88 Prominar is a true apochromatic lens, AFAIK at the moment still the only one in the world of spotting scopes. In this respect the 88mm is even better than its smaller sibling, the 77mm Kowa Prominar. That's remarkable because the latter has the same focal length and therefore a more relaxed focal ratio compared to the big Kowa. But like Swaro and many other comparable scopes it doesn't use true fluorite but ED glass elements. I guess this is also the case with the new Meopta scope.

Steve

Pier thanks for posting this. I guess the only spotters that offer 70x now are the Meopta and Big Swarovski spotter. Nikon has the new Monarch Fieldscopes that only reach 60x.
I noticed in the Paolo's very nice review I think he is saying that this 82mm scope stands up to the 70x power except for low light.

Zeiss 85mm FL offers zoom eyepiece with 75x of power, but don't have the same correction at the edge of the Meopta.
Perhaps the sweet spot of Zeiss are little more sharp of the Meopta, specialy in poor condition of the light.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back