• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pf-65 ED A Wide (1 Viewer)

Humboldt Jim

I got out a bit yesterday after work and tried out my combination of 65mm Pentax scope with GMO superview 20mm eyepiece (19.5x) and Brushhhawk shoulder pod. It works!

The scope and pod appear to be made for each other and I think either the angle or straight would work well. When the rubber eyecup is turned down I can just see the full field with my glasses on. There is a slight fringe of distortion around the edge of the field but I can still pick up motion there. I suspect this euepiece approaches the scope's inherent maximum real FOV so am happy with what is still a fairly wide undistorted RFOV.

This puppy is handy! It is nearly as intuitive as a straight scope and looking up at high angles is less strain on the neck than would be with the straight version.

My only gripe so far is the lack of an inexpensive anti-twist fitting on the main mount. All that would be needed is a sturdy plastic or sheet metal fitting with a few flanges up and down along the sites of the scope base and "stock" of the Brushhawk. I think I'll be getting out the snips rather than paying for the Bushhawk version.

...and GSO Superview eyepiece, not GMO! :)

Incidentally, I've not seen the 20mm GSO superview, but on the 15mm Superview folding down the eyecup for use with eyeglasses reveals a sharp edge on a metal ring on top of the eyepiece which is well positioned to, yes, scratch your eyeglasses. A solution is to remove the eyecap and reinstall it upside down. In this position the sharp edge is kept safely out of harms way, and a stiff rubber ring sticks up just enought to properly position eyeglasses for viewing. I've found that eye relief is tight, but just sufficient for me to view the full field with glasses if I reverse the eyecup as described above and push my glasses right up against the eyepiece.

Zack

zack2 said:
...and GSO Superview eyepiece, not GMO! :)

Incidentally, I've not seen the 20mm GSO superview, but on the 15mm Superview folding down the eyecup for use with eyeglasses reveals a sharp edge on a metal ring on top of the eyepiece which is well positioned to, yes, scratch your eyeglasses. A solution is to remove the eyecap and reinstall it upside down. In this position the sharp edge is kept safely out of harms way, and a stiff rubber ring sticks up just enought to properly position eyeglasses for viewing. I've found that eye relief is tight, but just sufficient for me to view the full field with glasses if I reverse the eyecup as described above and push my glasses right up against the eyepiece.

Zack

Yes, that coudl be Bushhawk, or was it Brushhawk? It's the plastic thing from San Diego CA.

Thanks for the tip on the metal edge. Mine has a remaining rubber edge when turned down but reversal might be a better solution. The eye lens is recessed a bit into the eyepiece. If the optics were moved back just a few mm, effective eye relief would be better. For US$39 I can't complain too much!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back