• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski eye cups slc,el (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
i have a question for users of els and slc binoculars. i am currently comparing different models for possible purchase in the next few weeks and i am curious about the eye cups on the el and slc range,recently i handled a second hand pair of 7,42 slc's which apart from the weight i liked very much but noticed there is no locking mechanism device for the eye cups when they have been extended.my question is this,are they in the habbit of working there way down after a few hours use.a previous pair[not swarovski] also lacked a locking mechanism and me having to keep twist them back up drove me to distraction.my list has far been wittled down to leica 8,42 trinovid or the swarovski's as mentioned.any advice welcomed.matt

matt green said:
i have a question for users of els and slc binoculars. i am currently comparing different models for possible purchase in the next few weeks and i am curious about the eye cups on the el and slc range,recently i handled a second hand pair of 7,42 slc's which apart from the weight i liked very much but noticed there is no locking mechanism device for the eye cups when they have been extended.my question is this,are they in the habbit of working there way down after a few hours use.a previous pair[not swarovski] also lacked a locking mechanism and me having to keep twist them back up drove me to distraction.my list has far been wittled down to leica 8,42 trinovid or the swarovski's as mentioned.any advice welcomed.matt

Matt,

I've been using 10x42 SLCs for about six months, and have zero problem with the eye cups remaining extended. In fact, I occasionally back them down a bit and there is still no problem in the intermediate position. So, I would not give that aspect any more concern. The eyecups are replaceable, incidently, for a modest cost — and winged eyecups can be substituted as well. I think they are a fantastic design. Let us know what you end up buying.

Enjoy the view whatever you do,
-elk

I have EL's and agree with elkcub that the eyecups tend to stay put, in whatever position they are set. I really prefer high friction to a few locking positions for maintaining eyecup distance since it allows more precise personal settings.

BTW, elk, thanks for directing me to the Kahles rainguard for the Swarovski winged eyecups. It works perfectly with the twist up eyecups too.

henry link said:
... thanks for directing me to the Kahles rainguard for the Swarovski winged eyecups. It works perfectly with the twist up eyecups too.

Thanks for the feedback, Henry. Glad it worked out (in?), well, you know ... |=)|

I had no problem with the standard eyecups but fancied trying the winged ones to help keep out low evening sunlight on my local patch. I enquired in my local dealer who rang Swarovski who promptly sent me a pair - no charge!

Nigel G said:
I had no problem with the standard eyecups but fancied trying the winged ones to help keep out low evening sunlight on my local patch. I enquired in my local dealer who rang Swarovski who promptly sent me a pair - no charge!

Take me to your dealer.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back