• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski EL models (1 Viewer)

I gather that the new EL's are now available, certainly through some UK dealers, apparently deliveries were made this week.

There could be a number of reasons why they were returned.

But if they were purchased because "Swarovski, must be good" and did not try them, perhaps it proves what so many forum members have previously posted "before buying, you should try the binoculars out, to see if they are suitable for you"

Swarovski 10x32 EL's

My first reply as a new member. Apparently the 10x32 EL's were not wanted as the person had been awarded a pair from work!!
Some employer!!! I cant see them being that better than Leica 32BN's which are £200+ cheaper. Mine are excellent!!

pduxon said:
May I ask if the Swaro's, Leica's & Zeiss of this world are really worth that sort of money? Wasn't it Mr Oddie who said that to a certain extent the difference between a £150 pair and a £650 pair is "snob value". Wonder how that ties with the adverts?

Are they going to improve my birding that much? I would have thought that £500 spent on birding holidays would be better VFM.

I'm also reminded that when I was listening to a demo off a hifi setup that I found out cost £5k (no I didn't consider buying it!!) I much preferred stuff costing under half that.

To a certain extent, you do pay for the name, in my opinion. Having said that, it may be that one of these brands might be the best for your eyes once you've tested them against cheaper brands.

I have a pair of Opticron bins, bought second hand, but the person had only had them for a few weeks before trading them in for some Nikons. While testing these and various other brands, albeit in the not too ideal situation of a town centre shop, I tried a pair of Kahles - made in Austria apparently (sound familiar?). I tried some Swarovskis alonside these and there was no discernable difference between them to my eyes. Another £100 would have bought me the Kahles, but I played cheapskate and lived to regret it. I think that the Kahles were about £400 cheaper than the Swaros.

I will be trying some bins out at the Bird Fair, but purchasing them elsewhere when I'm ready. I will not be buying a big name brand just for the sake of it.

In my opinion there is quite a big difference between a top of the range binocular and a budget one, but it is not always easy to see when you are on an optical dealers premises. In bright light most binoculars will do a reasonable job. You will be able to judge obvious features such as the field of view and the close focus distance. It is less easy to judge the depth of field and the brightness. It is even harder to judge the degree of colour correction, the colour cast if any, the flare resistance and the contrast. And yet these qualities are very important. Goodness knows how you judge flare resistance when standing outside the front door of a high street shop but you will soon notice flare in the field. Contrast is also very important and means quite literally the difference between seeing and not seeing something in low light. A quality 30mm binocular will easily outperform a budget 40mm one in low light due simply to better contrast. Quite how you judge the contrast when looking to purchase I know not. But you will see the difference when you are out looking for owls in the fading light. Colour correction is also import for those people who find colour fringes distracting.

Many budget bins are marvelous value, and can provide a lot of pleasure, but they ain't no Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss or Nikon.

Last edited:
Leif.
An easy way to test a binocular in a shop would be to use a resolution chart, showing line pairs. It will highlight some of the optical capabilities of the bino (especially resolution).
The shop only needs 5m distance to show it. I am sure that bino dealers have these, unfortunately it appears that they are reluctant to use them (or do not know how to). I have used the chart when trying binoculars at a shop in the Midlands and further North. At least they were able to explain the chart to me. Surely the reason you pay more for Leica, Swarovski & Zeiss is because they have built their reputation over many years. Swarovski are just over 50 years, Leica considerably more and Zeiss for over 100 yrs

Last edited:
I guess a resolution chart will help a bit but I don't think that it will substitute for a field trial.

BTW I noticed today - and I hope I have got this right - that Leica are saying they will loan 8x32 Trinovids to prospective customers in order for them to try them out in the field. They are bright red for obvious reasons, so I guess we might see a few of these around. It certainly seems a clever and novel idea.

I have looked through the 10x & 8x EL's & both are excellent & have been in stock a couple of weeks. :t:

I doubt many will be sold at the price & Jill said all Swarovski Bins & scopes had just had a price hike. :-C

I would suspect that the second hand pair could be new? and its just a way for the dealer to sell them a little cheaper so as not to upset Swarovski and the other dealers??:bounce:

Time to start saving 3:)

Last edited:
Captain: The Nikon 8x32 HG has noticeably more eye relief then the Leica 8x32 and to my eyes they are a bit brighter. The Leica also has noticeable linear distortion at the field edges. It is put there to favour astronomers but annoys us birders. (I can't remember the explanation for this. Maybe someone else can.) It does have the advantage of removing the funfair effect you see when panning with glasses such as the Nikon.

I too briefly tried the 8x32 EL's today @ Ace Optics (I was buying a new toy) and I was very impressed. Compact, excellent eye relief, a wide field and good colour correction. I presume they are as sharp but no more so than the others. I don't know if Joe Public will judge them superior to the likes of Leica and Nikon but I do. Ace Optics claimed they had sold 'some'. I don't doubt that the money is out there. All those dentists and neurologists have to spend their hard earned lolly somehow.

Leif said:
Captain: The Nikon 8x32 HG has noticeably more eye relief then the Leica 8x32 and to my eyes they are a bit brighter. The Leica also has noticeable linear distortion at the field edges. It is put there to favour astronomers but annoys us birders. (I can't remember the explanation for this. Maybe someone else can.) It does have the advantage of removing the funfair effect you see when panning with glasses such as the Nikon.

I too briefly tried the 8x32 EL's today @ Ace Optics (I was buying a new toy) and I was very impressed. Compact, excellent eye relief, a wide field and good colour correction. I presume they are as sharp but no more so than the others. I don't know if Joe Public will judge them superior to the likes of Leica and Nikon but I do. Ace Optics claimed they had sold 'some'. I don't doubt that the money is out there. All those dentists and neurologists have to spend their hard earned lolly somehow.

And the boys in blue will just have to make do with the Leica's :t:

Leif,
Now you have tried them could you tell us if they superior to the 8.5 x 42 & 10 x 42 EL's, if not how the heck do they justify the additional cost?

Paul

Paul: I don't think it is fair to compare the 8x32 EL with the 8.5x42 EL as they are different products. The 8.5x42 EL will be brighter and sharper. There's no doubt about that. What the 8x32 EL provides is class leading optics in a lighter and more compact form. I do suspect though that sales will be driven by a certain 'snob value'.:king:

On a similar note is the new Swarovski 80mm scope really so much better than the highly regarded Leica 77mm Televid? The former costs 50% more than the latter.

Interesting point on the new Swaro 80, seems to be a massive price premium both against the Televid and the old Swaro 80mm scopes. I also think the price difference between the 65 and 80 Swaro's is gigantic considering production costs will be almost the same.

As far as the EL's go I would never spend more for compacts than for the full monty's.

Hi Captain,
Yes I have compared the Nikon HG 's. They are excellent. I prefer the Leicas as they are lighter and to my eyes have a better depth of field. I guess they are all much of a muchness at this level.
Happy Birding!!

my pennyworth is having used Leitz bins and Kowa scopes for years,the SWarovski bins and in particular the new 80 scope,was as if i was seeing birds in a totally new light (no pun intended) they are simply just superb.

John

Focalpoint have pr. Leica 8 x 50 BN's 'mint & boxed' @ £700. I bought pr. 10 x 50 condition 8/10 through London Camera Exchange (mail order) for £476. I thought they were probably condition 9/10! I can't afford new gear but certainly would recommend buying secondhand based on my experiences with both 'scope & binoculars'.

REDESIGNED FOCUSSYSTEM ON ALL SWAROVSKI EL?? The EL:s are optically excellent but i didn't like the slow focusing at all...Now I found some information on the NEW 8/10x32 ELs which says that "Newly designed focus system is both smooth and fast, @ 1½ revolutions." Does any one out there know if the "old" large EL:s (8/10x42) has a redesigned/faster focus system as well?? At least the price on the large EL:s has gone up lately...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back