• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterbird ID!! (1 Viewer)

J32A2

Can anybody help me ID these birds in my backyard? In a small lake.
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

1. It's a diving waterbird (like a loon, but not a loon)
2. About the size of a loon
3. "Rust" colored head, with dark eye area
4. It has "tuffs" of feathers on rear of head pointed back wards "rust" color. Kind of like a woodpecker.
5. "Orangish" colored bill, NOT duck shaped
6. White feathers on chin area
7. White neck & chest
8. Grey body & wings
9. Orange feet

Don't have a pic right now, but I will try to get one. I've never seen these before and I have lived here about 20 years.

Thanks
Brad

Hi Brad I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators at Bird Forum

I'm sorry I can't help with the identification of your bird, but I'm sure there'll be someone along soon

D

I agree with Jane, it seems that you have seen a female Common Merganser.

And another "Welcome to BirdForum". We look forward to your participation in our various threads.

Wow!! That's what I'm looking at. Thanks everyone! I was going to ask about another diving bird I have never seen before, but it turns out they are the males(black & white). Like I said, this is the 1st year of ever seeing these guys. Looking at a map, Arizona is the southern fringe of their migration. Cool looking birds.

THANKS EVERYBODY
Brad

J32A2 said:
Wow!! That's what I'm looking at. Thanks everyone! I was going to ask about another diving bird I have never seen before, but it turns out they are the males(black & white). Like I said, this is the 1st year of ever seeing these guys. Looking at a map, Arizona is the southern fringe of their migration. Cool looking birds.

THANKS EVERYBODY
Brad

If you are in fact looking at the males, that black (if you look real hard) is actually a sleek, dark green! Makes 'em even cooler! :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back