• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile from Swedish Highlands for ID - good pics! (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
OK, I lied about the last picture being good but I'm not really expecting that one to be IDed anyway. I've no idea what it is and can't even remember taking it.

I think I know what the first bird is but would like confirmation please. I didn't know what it was when I was taking the pictures but sort of worked it out afterwards. Was I right?

Attachments

• IMG_5206.jpg
    IMG_5206.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_5207.jpg
    IMG_5207.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5215.jpg
    IMG_5215.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 249
OK, I lied about the last picture being good but I'm not really expecting that one to be IDed anyway. I've no idea what it is and can't even remember taking it.

I think I know what the first bird is but would like confirmation please. I didn't know what it was when I was taking the pictures but sort of worked it out afterwards. Was I right?

I'd say Brambling for 1 & 2, but the bill looks a bit too dark, if Collins is anthing to go by.

As to pic 3, dunno.

Cheers,

Definitely Bramblings for the first and I'd say some kind of tit for the 3rd pic as it appears to have a black bib..Marsh/Willow or Siberian?

Sean

Hiroshima

Definitely Bramblings for the first and I'd say some kind of tit for the 3rd pic as it appears to have a black bib..Marsh/Willow or Siberian?

Brambling was what I thought myself for the first bird but I've never seen a juvenile previously so I thought I'd check.

There are no Marsh Tits in the area but plenty of Willow. There are Siberian Tits though and if this turned out to be one it would be a lifer for me. I suspect it's a Willow though and am pleased and surprised to get this close to a definite ID.

The first two are deffo Bramblings, and the third one is deffo not a Treecreeper! Look at the bill!!!

IMO it's a Tit, as has been said already. I'd rule out Siberian due to the overall cold colour and pale flanks. Looks like a scandinavian Willow Tit to me.

The third one doesn't look like a Tit either..

//Ben

It does - dark legs, white outer margin to outer tail feathers. Underparts are pale and if that IS a bib then it's quite small, so that would rule out Sibe. So probably a Willow. Dark legs rule out Treecreeper sp.

Can I tentatively suggest that number three is a very scruffy and washed out looking Great Tit: white outer tail feathers, apparent black line running down the centre of the belly. The underparts look like the 'ghost' of a normal Great Tit.

Can I tentatively suggest that number three is a very scruffy and washed out looking Great Tit: white outer tail feathers, apparent black line running down the centre of the belly. The underparts look like the 'ghost' of a normal Great Tit.

Very good shout Andrew, I'd been thinking this myself - I wasn't happy about the amount of white in the outertail feathers either...

Macswede, could Greats look like this in round your part of the woods?

Nah, not convinced by Great Tit at all. Just a not on the angle - the legs are both at the same angle so the belly is facing the tree and any Great Tit dark belly line wouldn't be really visible (it'd be facing the tree) - what i think you're seeing is just the feather tracts separating. Also, the head looks like it's facing us, so we're looking at the chin/throat. Great tit would show a much bigger bib with a totally black throat - if the bib's too small for Sibe Tit then it's much too small for Great Tit. Has to be Willow, really (assuming there's no Marsh), as Coal would have a whopper bib too.

Both Willow and Sibe have white outer webs on the outer tail feathers (coal don't). Which is exactly what this bird seems to be showing, so the amount of white in the tail is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
The hind claws look too short for any Tit. The underside of the bill, throat and vent are in shadow, so what appears to be a bib, may not be. Has anyone considered a Warbler, Blackcap? there is a dark edge to the head. Just winging it. ;)

Twite.

Last edited:
Hind claw is obscured so how can you tell how long it is? What you CAN see is the length of the tarsus, which is too short (proportionately) for a warbler. All looks good for a Tit. I reckon 'possible Willow tit' is the closest we can get. That "dark edge to the head" could always be a Willow tit's cap, Twite?!

I'll start by saying that my submission was intended to be constructive, and was meant to add another possibility to the debate.

(1) BobTag. "It's a Tit!!! How can it possibly be a Blackcap with a black throat???"
What I was said. "The underside of the bill, throat and vent are in shadow, so what appears to be a bib, may not be."
The only proven Tit in this thread so far is you.

(2) Poecile. "Hind claw is obscured so how can you tell how long it is?"
I suggest you go back and look at the picture, look where you think where the hind claw should be, and there it is. If you can't see it go around and punch your Optician in the face, you were robbed.

Twite.

and make sure there isn't a twig in the way, which there clearly is on pic 3, right where you're trying to guess the length of the hind claw. Yes "there it is!". But, oh balls, I can't see how long it is cos of that there twig...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back