• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikons? Casio EX-P600? Others? (1 Viewer)

bochmanns

I have been digiscoping for about 6 months with a Nikon 4300 and a Swarovski STS-80. Unfortunately, the USB connector on my camera gave out so I am nolonger able to use the remote release.

This leaves me looking for a new camera. Nikon's new coolpix 5200 looks neat with much faster startup and shooting, but it does not appear to have any expansion threads or remote release capabilities.

The Casio EX-P600 looks interesting with on board RAM, SD Flash, and a cordless remote included, but I don't know if it will have vignetting issues. Does anybody have any experience with this camera for digiscoping?

Any experince with any of these newer cameras (particularly those with onboard RAM and faster operation)?

My other choice is to get another 4300 or possibly a 4500. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

Hi Bochmanns, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here.

I'm not familiar with the Casio you mention and there has been mixed news from a digiscoping angle on the cp5200.

I'm currently using the Contax SL300R T* which looks a bit like a tiny cp9**/4500 but can shoot at 3.5fps (no buffer as it writes instantly to the card, fast card needed) and has similar quick response in other areas. I know another BF member is using the 4mp version of this camera branded under the Kyocera name, though it does lack the Contax's Zeiss lens (although how much difference that makes is debatable). Although it has no remote cable-release option at present, this may change shortly.

The big difference between cp4300 and cp4500 is the rotating monitor section, so that no matter what angle your scope is at, you can have the monitor facing you... this is a big plus.

Regards,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back