• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NewBird Journal (v4) (1 Viewer)

AlanTh

Is anyone else having problems with the new Bird Journal.

I have downloaded the new version, and updated the mobile App. I have created an account on both.

The problem is that I cannot get my records from v3 to load onto the new desktop version.

I have exported data from v3 to Desktop (which is csv format), but the new version simply refuses to accept the data.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem but got around it eventually. Can't remember exactly what I did, but it did involve downloading the complete back-up from off the phone onto the PC and then importing it across from there. Sorry, I can't be any more helpful, but I did find it quite frustrating until I got around it.

Just remembered, I received an Email when I registered/signed in, from Bird Journal which contained an attachment with all records from my device (phone) titled "All.csv"
It was this file that I downloaded onto PC and imported from there.

Last edited:
I'm having no luck with this problem at all.

As I understood it, with the old version, you could transfer data from the mobile app to the desktop version, but not the other way around. I thought that the whole purpose of the new version was that we would be able to sync between mobile and desktop easily.

I have no records on my mobile app. I have not received any emails, although I have opened accounts on the mobile and desktop.

The problem is getting my records from the old version to the new version (desktop), I could then sync to mobile.

Every time I try to import records, Bird Journal gives an error report and closes down.

EDIT I would be happy to upgrade to Premium on the new version, as existing users get a 1/3 discount for three years, but I want to see the thing running before I do that.

Last edited:
Alan

I can't help much I'm afraid, I had no problem getting V4 to import V3 data. I think it did this automatically and didn't have to wait for any email. If you haven't already, I suggest you email Justin at Bluebird Technology who I'm sure will be able to help. They did tweet today Had a lot of emails over the last few days. If we've not yet responded to you, be assured we'll reply as soon as we can, weekends included!

V4 works in the way you suggest, i.e. the PC and mobile apps automatically sync each way. All your records will be on both PC and phone.

Regards

David

I upgraded to Premium and it now works fine.

Maybe I had to upgrade as I have a Hong Kong list .... I don't know. I thought that as a Premium customer of the old version, the basics should have worked on the new version.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Last edited:
Just spotted this thread. Alan, sorry we didn't respond quickly enough to help in this case, we're working through our emails as quickly as we can.

I suspect the problem was creating an account on the mobile device first? Creating an account imports your existing records, so if you've got your main database on your computer, you need to create the account on your computer first using the new Windows desktop app. Then you can sign in on other computers & devices to access this account.

Hope this makes sense. If anyone is struggling with a similar problem, please send an email to us at mail at birdjournal dot com, and we'll do our best to get you up and running swiftly.

Justin
(Bird Journal Guy)

Just spotted this thread. Alan, sorry we didn't respond quickly enough to help in this case, we're working through our emails as quickly as we can.

I suspect the problem was creating an account on the mobile device first? Creating an account imports your existing records, so if you've got your main database on your computer, you need to create the account on your computer first using the new Windows desktop app. Then you can sign in on other computers & devices to access this account.

Hope this makes sense. If anyone is struggling with a similar problem, please send an email to us at mail at birdjournal dot com, and we'll do our best to get you up and running swiftly.

Justin
(Bird Journal Guy)

Many thanks for the explanation Justin. As you have described, I did indeed create my account on the mobile app before the desktop.

I have been using V4 and the new mobile app for a while now and I'm really pleased with the advances which have been made. The syncing between PC and mobile versions is excellent; I've now got over 30 years of records on my phone! For the first time the mobile app enables butterflies, dragonflies, etc. to be added in addition to birds. Also the app now can be used worldwide and not just for UK species.

David

I am playing around with migrating to this software. I held off with version 3 but version 4 the product seems to be maturing into a more complete solution. Right now I have 11,000 records imported and there are no hiccups with the software. My "Heard Only" sighting did not import but I might manually code them (only a couple of hundred records). Looking to be a good software package.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back