• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand: Khao Phanom Bencha National Park (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Off to Thailand again very soon.

Khao Phanom Bencha National Park (Khao Phanom Benja National Park) is near to Krabi & sounds like a good place to bird.

However - there seems very little on the web about it.

Anyone been?

Thanks,

H

Hi H,

I've been for an afternoons birding, and to be honest, at the end of a tour so was rather chilled and relaxed. I don't think we saw anything too unusual but it was an interesting area and if those large mammals mentioned on the web do exist in there, then it should have some good birds. I guess Rail Babbler is a possibility as they can be found in remnant patches close-by apparently, though never easy. It was rather busy, due to the lure of the waterfalls and easy trek options and I guess is often the case being so close to Krabi.
Worthy of further investigation, be intrigued to hear how you get on.

Thanks, Mark,

Interestingly it's not mentioned in Nick Upton's site, but the web mentions good birds such as Green broadbill, & even, probably erroneously, Gurney's pitta!

And, as you say, a whole range of mammals too.

I'm going with my partner, and don't need much in Thailand now, so just looking for some forest experience with the chance of some birds.

I'm going to do Krabi mangroves - four possibles still there, having dipped the Kingfisher, Pitta, Nordmann's, Asiatic dowitcher there & elsewhere before.

H

halftwo
FYI If you are going elsewhere, I saw Nordmann's Greenshanks the last 2 years in the Laem Pak Bia area just (approx 1km I think) north of Kings Project - both times in exactly the same place, I also saw Asiatic Dowitcher (flocks of 40+ and 25+ I think) in that same place in 2012 and earlier this year near the rubbish tip/abandoned bdlg site south of kings project.

Last edited:
I'm going to do Krabi mangroves - four possibles still there, having dipped the Kingfisher, Pitta, Nordmann's, Asiatic dowitcher there & elsewhere before.

H

The Dowitcher not easy there but you should connect with the other three without too much difficulty I would hope, the first Nordmann's were back in the Gulf of Thailand during the last week or so.

Last edited:
halftwo
FYI If you are going elsewhere, I saw Nordmann's Greenshanks the last 2 years in the Laem Pak Bia area just (approx 1km I think) north of Kings Project - both times in exactly the same place, I also saw Asiatic Dowitcher (flocks of 40+ and 25+ I think) in that same place in 2012 and earlier this year near the rubbish tip/abandoned bdlg site south of kings project.

Yes, those sites mentioned are the traditional sites to look and this year was particularly good for Dowitcher viewing.

Thanks, Mike & Mark.

Liam Pak Bia is hundreds of miles away, btw! Good news on the Nordmann's, thanks, Mark.

Just been relaxing having just arrived. There is an intermittent Oriental honey buzzard passage here. Defo going to do the mangroves though - will let you know what I see.

Thanks, Mike & Mark.

Defo going to do the mangroves though - will let you know what I see.

if you don't get the kingfisher (presumably you meant Brown-winged?) or the pitta on the mangrove boardwalk, try at the back of the big hotel place further (walking distance) along the rd away from town, as they're both there too (and Ruddy Kingfisher) :t:

Hi all.

went out the boat yesterday - high tide was c2pm - not best birding time, but it's a low high tide - so the waders were spread out. Dipped on the Greenshanks but did see Asian dowitcher (2).

Up creek nowt seen at all, but from boardwalk one brief Brown-winged.

So, two dipped, two seen.

Larry, thanks - might well do that another day.

H

Hi Larry.

Your url not found. Thanks anyway.

Academic as there were none to id!!

I understand that you really need to charter a trip to the small islands of Ko Pida Nai and Nork (just south of the Ko Phi Phi islands) to be guaranteed success, towards evening apparently the best.

Just returned from pnon bencha nat. park.

Three plus hours in the forest produced: Chestnut-naped forktail, Grey wag & Dusky warbler. Oh, & Crested serpent eagle was calling overhead.
That's it!!

Habbo looked fine. Just no birds!

A couple of nice lizards - might post for id sometime.

Local forest near hotel yesterday: bird wave with 20 spp. which was very nice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back